Home > Trip Reports > May 17-20 Glacier Peak via the Chocolate Glacier

May 17-20 Glacier Peak via the Chocolate Glacier

5/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Kyle Miller on 6/5/11 8:47pm

Here I was on a plane flight leaving Sea Tac airport reaching above the cloud deck covering the Cascades with a small grin on my face. There she stood Glacier Peak in all of her glory plastered in a world of white looking as beatiful as ever. It was wild to think that two weeks earlier Jason Hummel and myself stood on her summit looking among the mighty Cascades.

With a 3 day weather window we approached Glacier Peak via the WHite RIver and Lightining Creek valleys which were buried from anywhere between 2 and 6 feet of snow. This route was Pioneered by Ryan and Monica a few years prior and we deecided it would be the fastest way to get in and out before oncoming storms later in the week.

The first and third days were approaches and deproaches and the second day was a summit and descent of the Choclate Glaicer headwall all the way down to the Suiattle River 6000 feet below before following the filled in valley back to the Suiattle Glacier and our base camp on the honeycomb. We experience pow, corn and Ice. The shrund was filled in and easily crossable.

here is a more detailed version of the trip.

Now I'm in Bolivia to do some snowboarding for the next few weeks before heading to Las Alenas with Sweetgrss Productions. I look forward to the rad trip reports coming out of the PNW this season and I look forward to joining everyone in the end of July.

Beautiful photo and TR.  It's great when you  fly over some terrain you have toured or plan to tour - a great perspective.

Looking forward to your TR and photos in Bolivia and Las Lenas.  The terrain is unique in the Las Lenas area.  As you approach Las Lenas about 15km from the resort, you'll see a "border guard" building in white on the left side of the road.  Jill and I stayed in one of the "cells" during our time skiing at Las Lenas.  It was "dirt bag" cheap compared to the resort.  I know you are on sponsored trip but its a great cheap location when you are traveling on a budget. The beef, wine and chocolate are wonderful in Argentina.

Have a great adventure.  ;)

No one cares what you did last month.  ;)

but seriously... awesome trip! Congrats on the chocolate HW. wish I coul have joined you.

Hope your having a good time down in SA.

i care .. i was wondering where this was .. just looking at the footage you guys shot up on glacier and the chocolate ... great stuff

wonder where's jason's tr too?? .. he has even more pix

anyhow .. as you know .. looking forward to your stuff from bolivia and las lenas .. and missing you .. 

Reply to this TR

may-17-20-glacier-peak-via-the-chocolate-glacier
Kyle Miller
2011-06-06 03:47:46