Home > Trip Reports > May 20 - 27, 2011, North Central Cascades Traverse

May 20 - 27, 2011, North Central Cascades Traverse

5/20/11
Posted by Trevor Kostanich on 6/3/11 3:34am
Peter Avolio, Adam Vognild, Rob Bolton and I skied southwest from Holden to the North Fork Sauk River.  A detailed (long) trip report can be found here.  Please don€™t hesitate to contact me for further beta.

Here is a quick summary:
Avalanche Obs
- Saw many point releases on all aspects, some that entrained huge volumes of snow resulting in large destruction based on path size (from May 18-20)
- Saw multiple ~6€™ slab releases on N/NE aspects between 6000-7500€™ throughout the route (from mid May, likely the May 15 storm event)
- Mitigated expected point releases throughout the route

Snowpack Obs
- Began tour on unconsolidated mush on all aspects
- Transitioned colder with periodic trace to 3€ snow events resulting in good stability for the majority of the traverse

Weather Obs
- Began warm, no freeze our first night
- Trended colder with lowering freezing levels
- Periodic storm events dropping a trace to 3€ of snow above 6000€™
- Cloudy and poor visibility became the norm

We traveled about 52 miles in 8 days, ascending 30,300 feet and descending 32,100 feet in fantastic ski terrain.

June & July look to be this year€™s corn season€¦have fun out there!

Great write up! Too bad the weather wasn't more cooperative for you but an epic trip none the less.

Thanks for making it happen Trevor, what an epic trip!

Cool trip Trevor!

I'll have to take a closer look at your blog ...

Sweet Trip!  Tough conditions for a challenging traverse.

Cool to see this. Haven't seen Rob since back, so it's nice to get some more detail. Thanks for the report Trevor.

I'm assuming all went well with last years food cache...

author=cumulus link=topic=21031.msg90199#msg90199 date=1307558299]
Cool to see this. Haven't seen Rob since back, so it's nice to get some more detail. Thanks for the report Trevor.

I'm assuming all went well with last years food cache...

The food cache held up very well...some beaks and claws seemed to have a go at them but no luck for them and good luck for us.

Reply to this TR

may-20-27-2011-north-central-cascades-traverse
Trevor Kostanich
2011-06-03 10:34:48