Home > Forum > Getting Started

Getting Started

• mfonda
  • [mfonda]
More
26 Dec 2004 12:17 #170426 by mfonda
Getting Started was created by mfonda
How did you guys get started backcountry skiing?<br><br>I would really like to get started backcountry skiing, its been a dream of mine for a long time, but I really have no clue where to start. The thing is I am only 16, and none of my close friends or family have backcountry skied before, and they dont really know about it either, so they will never take me.<br><br>Any ideas on how to get started?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2004 14:45 - 26 Dec 2004 15:52 #170427 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Getting Started
Matt: Your age is a bit of a drawback - when I was 16, I commonly skipped out of race training on powder days to ski outside the ropes. I still love skiing powder and don't run gates anymore, so I guess it worked out. I did have a few scary moments in the process, though.<br><br>Are your parents alpine skiers? If so, you might try to talk them into taking an avy introduction class with you from Gary Brill, Paul Baugher or Martin Volken. These skills are invaluable to both BC and lift-served skiers, and it is never too soon to start thinking in avalanche terms. Save your money and begin acquiring the basics like shovel, probe, and transceiver so you'll be ready to go when the time comes.<br><br>I would guess Martin (Pro Guiding Service, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) would let you do the Introduction to Ski Touring class if one of your parents were along, too.

In the meantime, hone your skills at the ski area by skiing as close to the boundary as you can and make a point of skiing the ugliest conditions (crust, mank, avy debris, zero visibility, etc.) you can find. Do something besides skiing, like running or cycling, to keep your aerobic fitness level as high as possible. You won't regret it once you hit the BC. If you see me going out the gate at Alpental and tag along, don't tell me how old you are!

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
26 Dec 2004 16:16 #170428 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Getting Started
If you can keep up with Greg, you're doing very, very well.<br><br>I'd look into the local clubs for instruction and introductions to like-minded folks: The Mountaineers, The Mazamas, Skagit Alpine Club, Washington Alpine Club, Nooksack Nordiques....etc. etc. etc. I don't know how any of them will feel about your age, but usually there's negotiating room somewhere, especially with parental support (e.g, waivers). Then there are the local city and county rec programs, and programs sponsored by stores like REI. I live in Bellingham, where there are a variety of courses aimed at teens. <br><br>There are also many, many commercial programs like the ones Greg mentioned. Typing a few judiciously-chosen search terms into Google would probably yield you a few. <br><br>Or, you could get pro-active and try to create something to suit your needs. An organization named Alpine Safety Awareness Program brings safe travel education to schools. Check their website ( www.alpinesafety.org/whoweare.html ) and contact Michael Jackson (yep, really). Or try to gather a few others who share your interests; maybe start with people you meet at school or community clubs and brainstorm possibilities. <br><br>Lastly, of course, try other web resources. I follow www.telemarktips.com , and although they recently lost their entire archive to an attack by hackers, there have historically been a number of 16-year-old posters...including at least one I can think of who is from Seattle. I recommend lurking for a while before posting, but you can also send private messages to other members (as you can do here). <br><br>Hope that helps. Good luck.<br><br>Mark

More
27 Dec 2004 03:54 - 27 Dec 2004 03:56 #170430 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Getting Started
Matt,<br><br>The Washington Alpine Club in Seattle offers a backcountry skiing class, some info on it can be found here:<br><br>www.wacweb.org/Classes/backcountryclass/default.view

Registration for it will begin in a few days and will continue through the end of January. If this looks like something you might be interested in, send me a message and we can talk further.

I coordinate this class and will check with the WAC board if we allow minors to register...I know that our climbing class has had folks younger than 18 before, but in those cases I believe one of the parents was also taking the class.
-Pete

• mfonda
  • [mfonda]
More
27 Dec 2004 04:21 #170431 by mfonda
Replied by mfonda on topic Re: Getting Started
Thank you very much for the advice everyone, very good advice and very helpful!<br><br>I will look into some of these ideas :D