Home > Trip Reports > May 29, Hibox

May 29, Hibox

5/15/11
Posted by Salal on 5/31/11 7:40am
Not sure if this really is still an objective ..but.. I did spy a way thru hibox on the north side from the three queens area back in february and wanted to have a look on sunday. Hopefully linking the two. We were the only car parked at the roads end about three miles from the rachel lake TH. Travel was interesting on the first mile of the summer trail and the rest of the way up to the base of hibox enjoyable. The summit was out when we first got there but by the time I was up top ..the clouds had rolled in and there was light snow. Heading north wasn't going to happen this time and I was alone at this point. The west face of hibox turned out to be less than epic...rather traversy and rapidly melting. I think this area sees more sun than say gold creek to the west. The bottom 800' or so is melted off requiring bushwack, waterfall, downclimb stuff. At least I know now.

Nice effort!  I've been thinking about this area the last couple of weeks.  Did you come in from east of Rachel Lake?  I can't remember where the official trailhead is...  I've been thinking about the Lake Lila/Rocky Run approach.

author=Salal link=topic=20990.msg89667#msg89667 date=1306881611]
requiring bushwack, waterfall, downclimb stuff.

Sounds like fun!

Glad you finally got your ski boards up on hibox. 

We took rd 4930 from lake kachess. Lake Lila might be a better option in winter. If I were to go back to hibox with the skiboards ..it would definitely be in winter.

Reply to this TR

may-29-hibox
Salal
2011-05-31 14:40:11