Home > Trip Reports > May 29, 2011, ONP Klahanie Ridge

May 29, 2011, ONP Klahanie Ridge

5/29/11
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 5/29/11 9:13am
    Dave Paley and I drove to Port A. and met up with Gary, Jan, Jeff and Greg (lotta Gs and Js!)
to head up the Ridge.  Scrambled a creek and skinned to Victor Pass in warm sun, bit of booting at the top.  The bowl N of Victor Pass looked like it could slide from any direction, so we admired the cool lines on Angeles and then scouted the road side along the ridge east.  It skied very corn-y for how mushy the climb felt.  Increasing clouds helped keep it nice.
    We followed Greg up the second skin track to our first track, then found some big open slopes into the gully off Angeles that gave us fine Olympic Ooze through some avy rubble and right back to the car for Black Butte time. 
    We only saw sluffs that we set off, but plenty of old activity.  Wonder what the avy chutes further skier's left were like?
    Fun short day, and finally feeling like spring  ::)  My first ski day in May---between chores and weather I cut it too close for comfort, but I racked up 44 months of TAY.  It's a small streak, but it's all mine!
Mack & Dave,

Thanks for making the journey to PA, it was good to finally make some turns together.  :D

Wish stability would have been a bit better so that we could have explored some of the more interesting lines into the North Bowl. As Greg said, they will be there another day.

Here are a few pictures from the day;

1. Mack making a "clothing optional" snow angel.

2. Dave descending through the variable spring snow

3. Greg with Mt Angeles in the background

Here's a link to some more:

https://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20110529VictorPassSkiTour#

Gary

good trip, great shots considering the variable light. What was the name of that shop with the skiis?

Reply to this TR

may-29-2011-onp-klahanie-ridge
telemack
2011-05-29 16:13:12