Home > Trip Reports > May 29, 2011, Alpental

May 29, 2011, Alpental

5/29/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 5/29/11 8:47am
Just like the past two years, May has turned out to be my month to get sick and out of shape after a great April.  It was nice to finally ski again, even if the base was sticky and covered by three inches of mush.

First trip for my new TLT5 Performance boots, wow!  These thing fit like bedroom slippers, weigh only a little more, and the carbon cuff makes for a fine downhill boot. Yeah $1000 seems high, but hey, it works out to less than $10 per day the first year and free after that.  Thanks Mario for coming out of retirement to work your magic in that little room at Dynafit in Montebelluna!!
only 3 " of mush ? sounds fantastic .I'll be there tomorrow.No kidding.

can I ask what upper Nash was like if you hit it? hoping it didn't slide I did it on the 21st of May and liked it.

Thanks Mlike

I thought upper nash was fun about 8am on Sunday, there is some debris in it and it wasn't firm corn skiing, may have been more than 3 inches of mush penetration as Silas described but I was using some swap meet tlt4s so who knows what it was like in boots that cost $1 large! I was impressed at the amount of snow, no real stream crossings and the lift ramp up top looked flat. The entrance to nash is real mellow with all that snow. I am used to the end of season scraps being much less accommodating. Maybe all different now with these new temps.

Thanks,I hope to get back up on the 11th or 18th I saw the temp going up this weekend I had a blast on the 21st and 14th of May and just as you described, lower Nash I thought was a little rutty if you traversed out.
can't wait till I can hit Nash again

Thanks Mike

Hi all,
I am heading up to hit Nash this Sat. on my way over the pass for fathers day and was wondering what the base coverage might be like, should I bring some approach shoes or will I be able to skin up from the base?
I haven't been able to make it up since the 21st of May so I am looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance for any info
Mike

You don't need approach shoes for the 20 feet from the deck to reach snow. It's still good!!

Thank you Lisa. I wasn't sure how much snow has melted since I was last up on the 21st of May

Reply to this TR

may-29-2011-alpental
silaswild
2011-05-29 15:47:30