Home > Trip Reports > May 23-24, 2011, Mt. Rainier, Nisqually Ice Cliff

May 23-24, 2011, Mt. Rainier, Nisqually Ice Cliff

5/23/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by samthaman on 5/28/11 4:25am
On tuesday I got a chance to ski the Nisqually ice cliff and make some new friends in the process. Joel, visiting from Colorado, had contacted me about shooting some photos for sponsor-funded ski mountaineering trip that he was on and I was happy to oblige. When he called me about trying to get up Rainier (a mountain I'd never been on before) during tuesdays weather window, I jumped at the chance. I met up with Joel, Joel's friend Josh, and Josh's friend Aaron and headed up. Inspired by
Sunset over Adams

A look back at our tracks.

A full TR is written up on my own website
here, otherwise thanks for looking.

Joel documented his own perspective
I watched you guys come down. Unfortunately my 10mm/22mm wide angle did little to capture the action I was too far out I think - I waited for a while about 500 vf below Muir for you guys to cross back over and met Aaron on his way down -  I sent him this the image below via email. He has my info if you want the photos I took. I clicked off about 50 shots like the one posted.
Here is one I played with on photoshop. I'm no wizard or techie but maybe someone else with some skills can bring them to life.
You can see 3 of you forming a triangle right above a rock a few hundred feet above the bottom shrund and one of you right above it.
/img]

If nothing else the images put the size of the other features into perspective
Congrats on a sweet line in a great weather window

Very nice, per norm.

thanks for the photo mick, that's an awesome perspective.

Reply to this TR

may-23-24-2011-mt-rainier-nisqually-ice-cliff
samthaman
2011-05-28 11:25:38