Home > Forum > June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions

June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions

• ace117
  • [ace117]
More
23 May 2011 17:00 #200370 by ace117
June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions was created by ace117
So I am planning on hiking/skiing all the major volcanoes this year. Starting with adams in early June. Don't exactly know what day. My questions are... 1. Do people carry there ski boots and skis up mt adams? Like is it doable? I have glacier boots. I am in very good shape. I don't want to spend the money on touring ski gear to skin up the mountain. I might change my mind though. Suggestions?

Ill make a trip announcment when I figure out the exact day that we are going.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cchapin
  • [cchapin]
More
23 May 2011 17:22 #200372 by cchapin
Replied by cchapin on topic Re: June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions
It is definitely doable, but certainly heavier. Most of the traffic on the South Climb route (assuming this is the route you are considering) is from hikers\climbers, so a boot packed path is almost assured to exist. You should bring ice axe and crampons.

If your ski boots have a walk mode, you could use those as well to avoid carrying them.

When I went to Camp Muir on Friday I saw a number of snowboarders and even 1 skier carrying all their downhill equipment on their back.

More
23 May 2011 17:44 #200374 by Boot
Replied by Boot on topic Re: June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions
If you plan to do "all the volcanoes", may I suggest you begin with St Helens? It would give you a good perspective of what you are in for, if skies are clear give you a good look at at least three other volcanoes, and due to this years heavy snow pack there may still be snow coverage top to bottom. Good luck.

More
23 May 2011 20:41 #200376 by k-root
Replied by k-root on topic Re: June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions
ace;

put an ad out in the personal yardsale section for wtb cheap; ski corn on the spring tour for the whole season

when I get back to my place and I see your ad I will look at what I have that might work for you.

and starting with st. helens is awesome-I never get tired of it! cougar is a great place.

the road to horse camp on mt adams opening is the time to look for high pressure and ski it-twice if you drive all the way imho

my favorite is to take some rock climbing things and go for the whole month

cant wait to hear how it all works out

• ace117
  • [ace117]
More
25 May 2011 16:39 #200401 by ace117
Replied by ace117 on topic Re: June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions
Hey, thanks a lot guys. Ill keep you all posted.

More
26 May 2011 19:09 #200415 by pcg
Replied by pcg on topic Re: June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions

Do people carry there ski boots and skis up mt adams? Like is it doable?

Yes, but the trip up is not much fun.
The first time I went up Mt. Adams I left Cold Springs campground at 5 AM, hiking in light hiking boots. I carried alpine skis and boots, ice axe, crampons, extra clothes, food, avy gear, etc. on my back - 57# total. I only weigh 155# so I felt like some kind of beast of burden. I got to false summit at 12:30 and felt like I couldn't go a foot farther. By the time I had moved 27# of that load (my skis and boots) off my pack I felt much better. The skiing was so much fun it made it all worthwhile, but... I'm pretty sure I'll never do it again. I have since moved on to AT gear, Al crampons, lighter axe, etc.
It's a long haul if you do it in one day and you will feel every pound.

• Patarero
  • [Patarero]
More
27 May 2011 16:36 #200444 by Patarero
Replied by Patarero on topic Re: June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions
I would consider Adams a multi-day trip at this point. The road is open to about ~3600ft right now. I would hit Helens, Hood then Adams later in June.

• ace117
  • [ace117]
More
30 May 2011 21:09 #200458 by ace117
Replied by ace117 on topic Re: June 2011 Skiing Mt Adams questions
I guess I will just rent some AT gear or put some Randonee bindings on my downhill gear. Ill just skin up. That is very likely to change though. haha.