Home > Forum > Dynafit touring trouble, autorotation

Dynafit touring trouble, autorotation

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
23 May 2011 11:16 #200358 by Alan Brunelle
Dynafit touring trouble, autorotation was created by Alan Brunelle
Not sure that I have seen this posted before, but my son's dynafit binding had some issues Sunday while touring.

The issue happened while touring with the heel positioned on the mid riser. On one foot he kept having the thing rotate back into the low position. As I followed, I was not attentive enough to see it actually happen, but I did note that it happened both during climbing and also once just after a short down and level section.

Anyone else have that issue and know of a solution.

What we did was increase heel DIN setting one and a half turns, but that is not a solution.

Thanks,
Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
23 May 2011 12:12 #200360 by wooley12
Replied by wooley12 on topic Re: Dynafit touring trouble, autorotation
Was the heel in the lowest tour position? Had the same problem last year in wet snow. A snow ball formed under my heel and stuck to the heel unit. I've read some silicone spray or other slidey stuff will keep the snow from sticking to the heel. Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
23 May 2011 12:28 #200361 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Dynafit touring trouble, autorotation
Not in the lowest tour position. Rather the middle position. He did not have the problem when touring on the high position. Oh, I forgot to mention that these were the older dynafits, the ones with the round red climbing post. I think they are called Comforts.

I have seen when searching on the web that they can rotate from low tour to ski position, but not between tour modes, although I guess that the mode of failure may be the same. Actually I take that back. If I look at his boot on while it rests on the top of the tail piece, it of course does not rest completely flat. (there is an angle as described by the pivot point at the toe of the boot.) So it seems that the boot somewhat pushes back on the rear binding post, thereby tending to rotate the binding in the direction that would drop the boot back down to low tour. Once that binding is back down to low tour, then the heel of the boot actually sits in a pocket on the binding post and it would seem to preclude rotation, at least while the boot heel is down.

Alan

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
23 May 2011 12:42 #200362 by wooley12
Older Comforts? Same here. Perhaps new thimbles and/or some boot lug surgery is called for.

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...73.msg83605#msg83605

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
23 May 2011 12:46 #200363 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Dynafit touring trouble, autorotation
Thanks.

That make perfect sense. I will check when I get home, but it stands to reason that if the contact point o the boot is made to contact the surface of the binding so that it is completely flat then there would be no backward forces. I will also take into account the effect of ski flex.

Funny though that he did not have that issue before.

thanks for the help.

Alan

More
23 May 2011 15:34 #200366 by Pete_H
Replied by Pete_H on topic Re: Dynafit touring trouble, autorotation
You need a stiffer spring that fits into the thimble. I imagine Pro Ski should be able to hook you up.

• wooley12
  • [wooley12]
More
23 May 2011 15:41 #200367 by wooley12
From what I hear, it's not always obvious that the thimble is worn. Change them. And be REALLY careful when you put the threaded spring cap back on. Whole threads about that dynafit quirk.

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...14.msg86774#msg86774