Home > Trip Reports > May 21, 2011, Bean Creek Basin.

May 21, 2011, Bean Creek Basin.

5/21/11
Posted by Randito on 5/22/11 5:07am
Road clear to trailhead -- about 1/2 dozen cars parked there when we arrived.  Bean creek running very high -- but the crossing has a foot log that makes crossing without wet feet possible -- if tricky -- I choose to wade.  Skis on at about 4700ft.  Rain started falling climbing into the basin, but slacked off to drizzle as we reached the ridgeline.  Stopped a little short of summit of "Mary" as we close to hitting bottoms of clouds which were lowering and fog was also starting climb up from the basin.  Mushy wet snow required some extra effort in making turns.  Saw some evidence of surface slides on some steeper slopes, so we stuck to moderate slopes. 

There is some impressive avalanche debris in some sections of the forested slopes along Bean Creek €“ large amounts of snow had run through the widely spaced old trees for hundreds of yards €“ all the way to the creek bottom in places.

On the drive back, I noticed that the amount of coverage at Snoqualmie Pass is impressive -- Hyak has a just couple of bare spots in the landslide area,  Summit Central and West still have 90% snow coverage -- skinnable from the parking lot.  I saw several skiers walking back up I-90 (Misdemeanor couloir ?)

Reply to this TR

may-21-2011-bean-creek-basin
Randito
2011-05-22 12:07:01