Home > Trip Reports > May 21, 2011, Muir Sauna

May 21, 2011, Muir Sauna

5/21/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 5/22/11 1:16am
Susan and I used the UW MM5 models to catch a break in the precip, leaving the lot noonish for a trip through a whiteout to the Camp. Thin windless blanketing clouds kept the temperature and humidity high up to ~9k, where the clouds dropped away.

We worked our way down to the Chutes entrance, but whiteout, warm snow, and pansitude (on my part, as usual) found us traversing back to the snowfield proper. One more trip up to the Camp saw the clouds a little higher, but still stellar views. Back down the snowfield and into the cloudsea on refreezing corn at 6:30. Wet snow skied well through the murk to the car, with crystalline sleet from 7-6k.

Mighty fun. The sunburn/tan lines have been entertaining (SPF 50 didn't cut it in the sunny fog).
My brother and I were up there as well yesterday with almost the exact same story.  The sunburn lines are a bit comical, and quite the surprise after liberal sunscreen.

We entertained the idea of the chutes as well, especially after feeling the promise of sun at Camp Muir.  Glad we opted to stick to the snow field though.  That 5 yd visibility lower down would've made navigation an adventure.  Besides, the RMI (or AAI, or NPS) wanded slalom course was a blast.  :) 

same story for my fiancee on st helens that day. cloud break was at 7k though. fortunately for me, i've already got my burn from muir from 2 weeks ago...

Reply to this TR

may-21-2011-muir-sauna
Charlie Hagedorn
2011-05-22 08:16:44