Home > Trip Reports > Adventures on Stehekin River Road: Mt Goode

Adventures on Stehekin River Road: Mt Goode

5/15/11
Posted by Kyle Miller on 5/21/11 8:54am
Sorry this is a few weeks late but it was definitely a learning experience.

With hopes of a 3 day weather window on the Eastern side of the Cascades Jason, Scott (Ale) and myself hopped aboard the Lady of the Lake out to Stehekin in hopes of climbing and riding something epic on Goode. We were able to borrow a car and drive up to High Bridge where we bootpacked and skinned for 14 miles along the PCT and the North Fork of Bridge Creek to a camp at the base of Goodes impressive north face.

A 3 a.m. alarm woke us up and before long we were bootpacking up towards the NE buttress our intended ski route. we made good time up until the final 2000 foot 55 degree pitch that last stretch took me 8 hours.

Upon arriving at the top of the buttress  we made a decision to ride down the south face to Park Creek because of slabby conditions up high and bulletproof ice lower in the chute knowing it was separating us from our overnight gear. That night we made a emergency bivy in Park Creek 4500 feet below.

The next day we skinned 14 miles around Goode ridge back to our camp where we ate and rested under glorious sunshine for the rest of the day preparing for the final 14 mile exit the following day.

We were greeted with the dreaded R word as we skinned the final stretch back to Stehekin where Bob and Tammi (The nicest locals I have ever met) gave us food and shelter before sending us on our way home.

In total 48 miles over 5 days.
Long, Remote and Burly I love the Cascades
here is the detailed version of what went down.
Wow! Read the full story from the link. That first photo is gnarly.

Hopefully your next adventure goes more smoothly!!

Good work gang!  Rigorous Attitude Award Winners in my estimation.

sounds epic you three. And fun. way to get it after it this year....

It was good times for sure Ryan. I was thinking of an old adventure of yours while we were up at Glacier Peak. Your notes on cc.com from a few yrs ago about lightning creek were much appreciated.

author=Jason_H. link=topic=20908.msg89342#msg89342 date=1306175175]
Your notes on cc.com from a few yrs ago about lightning creek were much appreciated.

Quoted for truth but that's a whole different story  ;)

awesome writeups... and the first image is just stunning... I really enjoyed reading yours and Jason's accounts about the decision to drop the other side.

wow, nice writing...

Great reports from Kyle and Jason.

Thanks a million for letting me tag along, the immortalization, and everything else. Deffinatly one of the most memorable trips I've ever been on. boat to boat, all 5 days where a great experiance.

I somehow deleted all the pics off of my camera before loading them onto my computer. had some really good ones from the few times I had the nerve to let go of goode on the way up. Acutally, was more scared I wouldn't be able to get my frozen gloves back on.

epic trip !!! .. both stories are great reads .. thx for the ride guys .. as you know i watched you on spot -- it's like reality tv  ;)

scott that sucks about your pix  ;(  .. did you notice you're in the teaser? jace captured some awesome footage for us fm here and all their trips .. exciting stuff .. can't wait to start putting it together for the film

HA,
yes I did, thank you!... well, not until I seen it at Kyle's. The first couple times I tried viewing, it skipped right over me..? I had a few takes from this trip of Kyle drying his skins with a jet boil in some random cabin for you.

I too am a kyle miller spot junky. edge of your seat action,,, almost.

Reply to this TR

adventures-on-stehekin-river-road-mt-goode
Kyle Miller
2011-05-21 15:54:22