Home > Trip Reports > May 20, 2011, St Helens father/son Cornucopia

May 20, 2011, St Helens father/son Cornucopia

5/20/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Mofro on 5/21/11 2:45am
Beautiful day on St Helens yesterday for a little pay it forward. St Helens was my very first volcano climb and ski back in 1978 when my dad hauled me up there when I was 8yrs old with full alpine gear via the North/Dogshead route. I'd been wanting to get down there for the past few years and do the same with my son but either weather or injury had prevented it. With the nicebut short weather window this week and the ample snow pack, I finally pulled the trigger/let him play hooky from school for the day to get it done.  We set out just after 6am and with a good freeze from a couple of clear nights travel was easy with continuous snow from the Marble Mtn Snopark.

With some valuable help from ski crampons, we were able to skin the entire route. 

The snow began to soften around 9am and a few groups with earlier departures skied down skiers right of the climbing route. I began to mentally calculate our topping out time and whether the snow would be past it€™s prime by the time we reached the top and wishing we€™d left at 5am, but with a steady pace and some strong work by the little guy, we reached the crater rim around 10:45am.

Spirit Lake with Rainier in the distance

Mt Adams in the distance fat with snow

We started back down @11:30 and any concerns I had that we were going to be too late for corn were quickly dismissed. Perfect conditions along our selected down route for nearly 5K had us grinning, hollering and gorging on the perfect corn.

Little C tore it up.

Mountain graffiti.

The snow was so good I contemplated heading back up for another lap, but it likely wouldn€™t have been as good in another hour. The trail out had a few sticky spots but was still firm enough in the shade for rapid descent with just a little poling.  There€™s a solid 3ft of snow still so a continuous ski should be likely into June.

Viva la dynafit.

Great TR, he looks like a ripper!

My first back-country ski trip was back in the late 60s when I hauled my alpine gear up St. Helens with my dad. I had to carry it back down to the top of the Dog's Head because of white-out conditions, but loved it when I cruised past the climbers from there. I miss that beautiful symmetrical peak!

That was a great trip in perfect conditions with your son.  Those memories will last a lifetime.   ;)

I was up there a day earlier and it looks like we shared identical conditions both days.  I found perfect rock hard climbing carrying my skis and excellent creamy top to bottom skiing too.  It was moderately windy most of the way up (no wind at top) which I think did the trick to keeping the snow cooled down for a great ride down.

JJS

Awesome, Awesome...Wish I was there to share that with you boys. Was thinking how good that would have been as temps got a little higher than I wanted 7000ft and and below.

Awesome. Nothing better then corn with your son!!!!

great to see minifro ripping it up just like his ol man.  Really wish my dad woulda snagged me out of class for such endeavors back in the day.

Hope we get another nice window like that sometime soon!

absolutely love this trip report!

rog

How old is your son?  Since I have two young ones still in diapers, this TR is impressive and inspiring!

how to keep your kids off drugs.....

Always love to see you father son reports. way to go Fro's!

Wow, just awesome!!!
I want to be able to share something like this with my son!!

Great stuff!  The world needs another strong young skin track setter ; )

Here's to many more front-pages for Little C ;)

The front page has officially gone from remembering the past to anticipating the future. Things are  looking up.

OK, time to mount those size SM Fritschis. This post made my kid a little jealous. :D

Reply to this TR

may-20-2011-st-helens-father-son-cornucopia
Mofro
2011-05-21 09:45:29