Home > Trip Reports > May 19, 2011, Colchuck, North Face to NBC

May 19, 2011, Colchuck, North Face to NBC

5/19/11
Canada BC
Posted by esvege on 5/20/11 1:59am
Headed up to Colchuck with Michael Shaffer "Bird" yesterday to have a look at a couple of lines we were considering skiing.  We decided on the north face to NBC on Colchuck.

We climb up the Colchuck Glacier to the col and made our way to the summit deciding not to climb the NBC as it was getting hit with morning sun as we arrived at the lake and wanted to minimize our exposure to the new snow that had recently fallen. 

With a little down climb and traverse from the summit we found our way to the entrance of the face.  We were happy to find consolidated powder on most of the face with an ice in areas but was easy to avoid.

The NBC had seem some sun throughout the day but the turns down the coulior were good as well.

Dude, way to be a baller!

Have any more photos of the trip down?

Thanks, was a really fun line to ski!  Have a few more ski pics, but none taken on the NBC. 

author=esvege link=topic=20896.msg89212#msg89212 date=1305910778]
Headed up to Colchuck with Michael Shaffer "Bird" yesterday to have a look at a couple of lines we were considering skiing.  We decided on the north face to NBC on Colchuck.

We climb up the Colchuck Glacier to the col and made our way to the summit deciding not to climb the NBC as it was getting hit with morning sun as we arrived at the lake and wanted to minimize our exposure to the new snow that had recently fallen. 

With a little down climb and traverse from the summit we found our way to the entrance of the face.  We were happy to find consolidated powder on most of the face with an ice in areas but was easy to avoid.

The NBC had seem some sun throughout the day but the turns down the coulior were good as well.

[/What approach did you take? I heard the icicle creek road is closed  due to landslide]

Yeah, isn't the road closed?

author=coreyrc07 link=topic=20896.msg89223#msg89223 date=1305938748]
Yeah, isn't the road closed?
Yeah they are still working on clearing out the landslide.  You can use the lower road thru the campground to bypass, gate may be locked.  A mountain bike would help as the road is melted out almost to TH.

Awesome. That face and couloir along with the views are a class act. That face on Colchuck always sticks out for me because I watched my brother tag a rock there and almost sail off those cliffs. Amazingly he pulled it together even with ice and cartwheeling! Even though I have always wanted to ski that route again, I don't know that I ever will. Either way, it is still very cool to see your images.

Thanks Jason!  Must have been pretty scary seeing your brother take a fall on that face...good thing he was able to keep it together and get the skis back on the snow.  A route worth skiing again for sure  :)

Thanks for the info. Great post by the way.

My buddy and I are thinking of checking this out next weekend. I've never been in the Enchantment area, when you say you can go on the lower road through the campsite, do you mean Eightmile campground? Also this may be a dumb question, but what is "NBC" short for?

author=coreyrc07 link=topic=20896.msg89284#msg89284 date=1306046519]
Thanks for the info. Great post by the way.

My buddy and I are thinking of checking this out next weekend. I've never been in the Enchantment area, when you say you can go on the lower road through the campsite, do you mean Eightmile campground? Also this may be a dumb question, but what is "NBC" short for?

Yes you can go thru Eightmile campground to get back onto the Icicle Road on the other side of the slide.  NBC is short for north butress coulior.  Have a good time if you head out next weekend!

Reply to this TR

may-19-2011-colchuck-north-face-to-nbc
esvege
2011-05-20 08:59:38