Home > Trip Reports > Crater Lake, May 15 and16

Crater Lake, May 15 and16

5/15/11
OR elsewhere
Posted by Turtle on 5/19/11 10:44am
Quick trip to Crater. This was my first with the Rim drive still closed. Still is amazing!!! Ranger station to Sun Notch via Rim drive.  Camped 7,000 ft. at  Sun Notch. Was great. Skinned in on corn with sun breaks and flurries. Snowed 6" that night. Woke to sun breaks and flurries. We proceeded to have an excellent day of powder skiing on Dutton Ridge. Stable snow with new snow sluffing early in the day.  We saw a few wet slides on our exit as the day warmed.
Sweet - looks really nice!  I love that area.  Can't believe how heavy the snowpack is in the Oregon cascades still!

awesome. Do any runs down to the lake? Is that allowed?

Second picture is money.  Nice TR.

No runs allowed into the Caldera! It is the deepest lake in N. America and is dam cold, even in the middle of summer. I would love to say "Yeah, I'd do it."  But after looking at it more closely, you'd be one sluff away from certain death, even with a PFD. I think you'd sink with skis, boots, poles ,etc. in most all of the areas we viewed. Also, you don't really want to break the rules, especially since the rangers are pretty helpful folks.  That's not to say it hasn't been done, or can't, but not for me, thanks.

I frankly thought this was mis-posted to May when I saw the pow shots. 

Mid-may in Oregon?  Give me a break, what a year!  Thanks for the eye-candy.

Great trip and photos.  Powder in mid-May.   ;)

Reply to this TR

crater-lake-may-15-and16
Turtle
2011-05-19 17:44:16