Home > Trip Reports > May 18, 2011, North Twin Sister, North Face

May 18, 2011, North Twin Sister, North Face

5/18/11
OR elsewhere
Posted by GGrove on 5/19/11 8:48am
Had a great time in the hills with Drew Tabke and Adam Roberts.  Ventured into the twin sisters which has become somewhat of a tradition of mine for the last 4 years.  Something to note is that we got lost due to the fact that there has been major logging up there in the last year, I hardly recognized most of it and there are new roads jetting off which confused the approach.  It is still the exact same but there are just more options to go wrong.

Snow conditions seemed very stable, smaller wet slides.  We had warm powder for the top 500 feet then thick warmed snow to sticky mushy snow.  So all in all great skiing but definitely not corn and in some places it was still pretty punchy & unconsolidated.  I imagine these higher temps today and tomorrow with the potential for rain this weekend should really solidify the snow pack and usher in the corn cycle!

For more shots check out the blog at blog.garrettgrove.com

Cheers!
Garrett, these and your blog pics are awesome. I look forward to more if you keep posting here. What's your wideangle lens?

So are the bikes just used as mules or can you move the gear around enough to actually ride them?

Awesome pics as always!

Garrett- was the road melted for biking all the way to the fire circle where the trail starts climbing to the ridge? Nice work and pics, thats one hell of an approach if you're not pedaling!

author=jackal link=topic=20891.msg89187#msg89187 date=1305856163]
Garrett, these and your blog pics are awesome. I look forward to more if you keep posting here. What's your wideangle lens?

Thanks!  When out for longer days I use the nikon 24-120 f/4 and a sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye.  Good combo to capture most things.

author=hyakSS link=topic=20891.msg89188#msg89188 date=1305856804]
So are the bikes just used as mules or can you move the gear around enough to actually ride them?

They are mules for the way up and a fast ride for the way back down...that road is a bit too steep with heavy packs on to ride up.  At least for me.

author=Brian C link=topic=20891.msg89204#msg89204 date=1305898460]
Garrett- was the road melted for biking all the way to the fire circle where the trail starts climbing to the ridge? Nice work and pics, thats one hell of an approach if you're not pedaling!

The road had snow on it starting at about 2800 feet, the lowest I have ever seen for this time of year.  Pushed the bikes up about 1600 feet then skins from there to the summit.

Reply to this TR

may-18-2011-north-twin-sister-north-face
GGrove
2011-05-19 15:48:03