Home > Trip Reports > WARNER MOUNTAINS IN MAY!!

WARNER MOUNTAINS IN MAY!!

5/15/11
Posted by pabloson on 5/18/11 2:06am
My goal was to ski Drake Peak (SE Oregon) which has some great looking lines and good vertical relief, but I couldn't find access.  Apparently a couple of folks have got in there off the Plush road cut-off, but man hiking up a mile of sagebrush in ski boots didn't seem appealing.  Plus there was a 50/50 chance of poaching private property.  Anybody skied it? 

Unbelievably while talking to the local cowboys (who made numerous comments about my sanity) in the Plush General Store, one of them piped up and said he'd "skinned that puppy" a few years ago.  Did not expect that from that crowd. I supposed he will never live it down.

Anyway, I skied the Warner Canyon ski area instead.  I can't believe how much snow pack they have.  NOAA says 180% of normal.  The corn was great.  What a sweet little ski hill.  There's just something about the Warner mountains. 

Had hoped to ski other sky islands, but ran out of time.  Independence mountains and Ruby mountains in NV look really good.
How late is the ski area open?  Are thei out of bounds freshies to be had.

That mountain sounds interesting...maybe the cowpoke can offer up some beta?

Good luck!!!

Cool man!  I love the Warner mtn!  I've x-country skied on roads there in early winter because there was not enough snow yet.  Great hot springs in Surprise valley.

It can be pretty hard to get to the skiing in the mountains of NV, but with a big snowpack you should have an easier time of it.  I miss NV so much, luckily there is a lot of good skiing here in the PNW!

Check out the East Humbolts, Angel lake specifically.  It's just south of Wells, NV.  Sweet, big lines.

Take care,

author=rlsg link=topic=20880.msg89123#msg89123 date=1305759206]
How late is the ski area open?  Are thei out of bounds freshies to be had.

That mountain sounds interesting...maybe the cowpoke can offer up some beta?

Good luck!!!

Cowpoke had some good beta but it was NONAPPLICABLE  this year due to roads blocked by snow.

The ski area was closed, but there was a lot of evidence of hike and ski.  The signage I noticed prohibited entry into backcountry (which looked promising).

The Steens looked buried in snow, but BLM required a 1 week advance notice to get a permit to enter through locked gate in the winter.

author=teledavid link=topic=20880.msg89127#msg89127 date=1305761705]

Check out the East Humbolts, Angel lake specifically.  It's just south of Wells, NV.  Sweet, big lines.

thanks David, i'll tuck this piece of knowledge in a safe place in my hippocampus - yes the peaks around Wells were really catching my eye.

author=pabloson link=topic=20880.msg89129#msg89129 date=1305762316]
Cowpoke had some good beta but it was NONAPPLICABLE  this year due to roads blocked by snow.

The ski area was closed, but there was a lot of evidence of hike and ski.  The signage I noticed prohibited entry into backcountry (which looked promising).

The Steens looked buried in snow, but BLM required a 1 week advance notice to get a permit to enter through locked gate in the winter.

So with the area  closed but lots of skiing/snow to be had, do you see any problem going on the hill "in bounds" or outa bounds".  How about car camping on the road parking area at the ski area...see any problems with that!  Also, I know it is a small area but what what sort of vert of basic fall line skiing does it off up in and out of bounds...

Thanks for any info...sounds like a cool unique gettaway to the sticks..

author=rlsg link=topic=20880.msg89175#msg89175 date=1305840968]
So with the area  closed but lots of skiing/snow to be had, do you see any problem going on the hill "in bounds" or outa bounds".  How about car camping on the road parking area at the ski area...see any problems with that!  Also, I know it is a small area but what what sort of vert of basic fall line skiing does it off up in and out of bounds...

Thanks for any info...sounds like a cool unique gettaway to the sticks..

We actually considered camping in the parking lot but it wasn't a very nice spot for tent camping with truck traffic etc...There were no signs prohibiting this.  There's a great camping spot just 2 miles east off the highway near the snowparks.

There was a sign prohibiting "hiking" on the ski hill.  I gave this a personally favorable interpretation as meaning only during ski season.  You know, it's just so remote.  I can't imagine anybody enforcing anything down there.  Looked like lots of other folks felt the same.  This is Ron Paul country man!!  Liberty or death!!

My altimeter said I gained 800 vertical feet in-bounds.  There was some very steep steeps in-bounds with chutes and rocks and interesting terrain.  Definitely black diamond (washington state black diamond not oregon black diamond - maybe even spots of double BD in the rocky terrain).  Out of bounds looked similar. 

author=pabloson link=topic=20880.msg89176#msg89176 date=1305844903]
We actually considered camping in the parking lot but it wasn't a very nice spot for tent camping with truck traffic etc...There were no signs prohibiting this.  There's a great camping spot just 2 miles east off the highway near the snowparks.

There was a sign prohibiting "hiking" on the ski hill.  I gave this a personally favorable interpretation as meaning only during ski season.  You know, it's just so remote.  I can't imagine anybody enforcing anything down there.  Looked like lots of other folks felt the same.  This is Ron Paul country man!!  Liberty or death!!

WOW...OUTSTANDING 800VERT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME AND IT SOUNDS LIKE TOTAL SNOW COVERAGE!

172 miles to L. View from Bend...heading down in a few days

THIS SITE IS AWSOME..THANKS AGAIN...
My altimeter said I gained 800 vertical feet in-bounds.  There was some very steep steeps in-bounds with chutes and rocks and interesting terrain.  Definitely black diamond (washington state black diamond not oregon black diamond - maybe even spots of double BD in the rocky terrain).  Out of bounds looked similar. 

Nice going, those backwater ski spots are the best, and this year seems to have the snow to make them great spring trips.  I just passed west of there, wish I would have thought to give it a look.

Reply to this TR

warner-mountains-in-may
pabloson
2011-05-18 09:06:32