Home > Trip Reports > May 17, 2011, Chair Peak Circumnavigation etc....

May 17, 2011, Chair Peak Circumnavigation etc....

5/17/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Martin Volken on 5/17/11 11:07am
Hi all;
I just got of the Spearhead Traverse a few days ago and did the Chair Peak Circumnavigation today. There is an astounding amount of snow in the mountains, but I am sure that is no surprise.
It might be worth mentioning though that the strange blue stuff with the yellow thing in the middle has started a bit of a flush cycle in the Snoqualmie Backcountry. There is not necessarily a big propagative quality to the slides, but there is still so much snow hanging in the steep cliffs and on the ridges, that is does entrain quite a bit of snow once it hits the lower slopes.
We did get a decent freeze this morning, but it was over very quickly. So if you are going to go for it in the next few days in the Snoqualmie BC, get a super early start; you know - so early that you might doubt the validity of your sport for the first minute after the alarm goes off...
Have fun, be safe.
Now that's a great 1st post !

author=wooley12 link=topic=20874.msg89047#msg89047 date=1305686308]
Now that's a great 1st post !

That's too funny!  I bet Martin mis dated this post back in in May 1981, or some other big snow year in the past, and it just now got published due to TAY not being programmed to connect to the time space continuum in the future.

Thanks for the info, Martin.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=20874.msg89050#msg89050 date=1305687032]
That's too funny!  I bet Martin mis dated this post back in in May 1981, or some other big snow year in the past, and it just now got published due to TAY not being programmed to connect to the time space continuum in the future.

Thanks for the info, Martin.

Funny, in 1981 I was still a real Swiss Redneck, did not skitour and had never heard of Seattle - let alone the Cascades...

Good info, Martin, Thanks.

author=Martin Volken link=topic=20874.msg89052#msg89052 date=1305688661]
Funny, in 1981 I was still a real Swiss Redneck, did not skitour and had never heard of Seattle - let alone the Cascades...

You've come along way!

A "Swiss redneck"...hmmm...needs definition:

-Believes in social medicine because of the tendency to hurt oneself while performing chain-saw art?
-Has a BS and an MS in something other than Engineering?
-Ah, I got it, moves to small Costa Rican beach town and thinks he owns the place.

Others?

Great....Thanks for the update!

It is amazing out there....Go early be safe!

Reply to this TR

may-17-2011-chair-peak-circumnavigation-etc
Martin Volken
2011-05-17 18:07:54