Home > Forum > East & St Jean Couloir, Split Mtn

East & St Jean Couloir, Split Mtn

• all mtn
  • [all mtn]
More
17 May 2011 16:14 - 17 May 2011 16:33 #200225 by all mtn
East & St Jean Couloir, Split Mtn was created by all mtn
- these are the name of the chute/ couloirs that Kip Garre and Allison, from Squaw Valley were involved in the April avalanche. summitpost.org has a good route description. by no means a light undertaking.
Friends say they embodied the full spirit which the mountains can grace us with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris S
  • [mtnfreak]
More
19 May 2011 13:46 #200304 by Chris S
Replied by Chris S on topic Re: East & St Jean Couloir, Split Mtn
The East Couloir - also called the Split Couloir - leads to the notch in between the North and South summits of Split Mountain.  Its this line, as I understand, that Kip and Alli were climbing when their accident took place.
The St Jean Couloir is a separate line altogether that leads to a notch on the northeast shoulder of the North Summit.  As you look up at the East aspect of Split Mountain, the St Jean Couloir is a distinct line to looker's right of the Split Couloir.

• all mtn
  • [all mtn]
More
20 May 2011 15:26 #200326 by all mtn
Replied by all mtn on topic Re: East & St Jean Couloir, Split Mtn
- yaa, that sounds correct that the East Couloir is the line they were in. I think B/C magazine called it the Split C.  thanks for your input. Its kinda vague on the net about this area. the person on summitpost.org just submitted a route description in 2010.
   My friend was a patroller for quite some time on Mammoth. now, he spends his time kiting. he knows what the winds are doing daily and he suggested that shortly before they went to Split Mtn. there was a NW clearing wind event (w/ visible plumes/ banners coming off the Sierra crest). So this could have led to instability. 
    And, I like your I.D. -  mtnfreak       thanks again, Rob