Home > Trip Reports > May 13, 2011- Thunder Glacier near Mt. Baker

May 13, 2011- Thunder Glacier near Mt. Baker

5/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by JasonGriffith on 5/16/11 2:07am
Ebeam called/emailed me last Thursday with a plan to ski Colfax and the Thunder Glacier.  A couple of quick calls to Scott and Steve and the plan was to meet Ebeam and Chuck in Maple Falls at 0400.  Yikes!  As has been reported, you can drive to within ~2 miles of the TH to about 2600'.  We used the usual early season approach up Grouse Creek and traversed onto the Coleman (ski crampons useful).  Skinning up the glacier the winds were pretty strong from the SW, so we decided to bag the Colfax idea and went for the entrance to the Thunder (~8600').  Ebeam and myself went for the directissima above the 'shrund (~50 deg.), while the rest of the gang traversed around to the north and watched from below.  Some actual powder (face shots!) up high turned to an icy firm crust lower down in the icefall (whippets useful), which we passed on skier's right.  It looked like you could weave right down the middle also.  I guess our original plan would have put us on the glacier a little later with maybe softer snow, but as it was, our turns down into Grouse Creek after regaining Marmot Ridge were pretty darn good.  I think on a tour as long as this, it would be pretty hard to nail perfect snow conditions across the entire elevational range. 

I think the total stats for the day, given current road conditions, are about 11.5 miles and 7000' of gain.  It looks like it will be a good while before you can drive all the way to the TH, but this tour is still a reasonable and fun day out right now!  Thanks to Ebeam for inviting me, it was great to get away on a sunny day for a change.

Photos below:  1.  The man with the plan  2. Windy skinning up the Coleman  3.  Lincoln
More Photos: Ebeam scouting, then ripping it down to the 'schrund.

And they keep coming: Tracks above the 'schrund, Chuck skittering through the icefall, Chuck

It was too nice a day to not keep 'em coming: Scott, Steve, and the whole gang with the Thunder Glacier behind

Last two, I promise:  Twin Sisters Range, Scott and Steve

Nice.
Man ... I'm digging the Japanese headband..... Kamakazi steeze..... I like it.

Nice run that is - Erik, Chuck and company - worth it ayeh !  Did you see us to the West?  I could have sworn i saw a party skinning out of the Thunder up on to Marmot Ridge ;-)  Nice day and fine pictures.

You snaked my line!! Early bird gets the worm! Nice ski.

author=Scotsman link=topic=20863.msg88967#msg88967 date=1305566287]
Nice.
Man ... I'm digging the Japanese headband..... Kamakazi steeze..... I like it.

.... and .... a visor! So retro ... crop the newfangled whippets out of the frame and that one pic from the last batch coulda been from the 80s.

That is an even nicer looking line from the perspective you get at the bottom. Gotta go get that one some time.

Jason - great photos and write up. Thanks for doing it.

Oyvind - didn't see anyone over Sisters way (and we did look). You are right about the Thunder being a nice run. The setting above the icefall is stellar. I will be back.

Thanks to Steve, Scott, and Chuck also for a great trip. This backyard of ours is an amazing place.

Wow face shots in mid May, who would have thunk! way 2 go! thanks for the excellent photos, fun tour!

Looks awesome! Great photos!

More Pictures:

Great pics, and awesome work.

Great report.

Talked to a few people about doing this earlier this year. Glad to see someone got on it!

Reply to this TR

may-13-2011-thunder-glacier-near-mt-baker
JasonGriffith
2011-05-16 09:07:51