Home > Trip Reports > Dec 22 -- Baker environs

Dec 22 -- Baker environs

12/15/04
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by curmudgeon on 12/22/04 7:18pm
Steve and I thought that searching for the inch that was supposed to have fallen at Baker sounded better than a day at work, so we gave it a go -- with misgivings.  The last time up, there were deep, icy rainruts on all aspects and not much new had fallen since.

A couple of quick runs in area proved that the trace of new at the lodge turned into a full inch at the top of the lifts (about 5200').  That led us to wonder what coverage we might find over the boilerplate a little higher up.

Crampons proved to be more useful than skins on the way up the Arm.

Above about 5700' the old rain ruts were pretty well covered, and the snow that had fallen was boot deep in the deposit zones.

http://media.admcs.wwu.edu/video/steve-saddle.wmv

Some good turns were to be found.  On anything above 30 degrees, you would be bouncing off the boilerplate rather than skiing the deposits, so we kept it shallow. the lower part of the Arm (below 4500') was forgettable.
Great picture, Tim!

Nice photo!  

I drove up today in search of that very secret stash shown in your video, but warming temps had already had their way with the powder.  Still, with 3-4 inches of damp, fresh snow covering a strong crust, skiing was perfectly reasonable ("better than expected") whenever I could see more than ten feet in front of me.  Also of note: the new snow seemed well-bonded to the crust, and the approaching storm is starting out warm, as evidenced by the light drizzle which moved in during late afternoon.  This suggests that Sunday and Monday might provide us stable snow and fine skiing.  If I can manage to restrain my gluttonous appetites on Christmas day (we're talking primarily food and drink here), I'll be back Sunday morning to take proper advantage.

Enjoy,

Mark  

Yeah Laura and I enjoyed a great day up there on the 23rd as well.  We skied creamy corn on the soft side of Table Mountain.  Then searched out the powder in the wind deposits on the North side of Table down to Bagley Lakes.  We had so much fun we skiied powder on the lower slopes into the lakes by moonlight before finally going home.  Super Fun.

Reply to this TR

dec-22-baker-environs
curmudgeon
2004-12-23 03:18:01