Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2011, Mt Elbert, Highest Peak in CO

May 14, 2011, Mt Elbert, Highest Peak in CO

5/14/11
Posted by TonyM on 5/15/11 1:54am
At 14,433 elevation, Mt Elbert is the highest peak in Colorado.  It's located southwest of Leadville in the San Isabel National Forest of the Sawatch Range. We "climbed" the east ridge, a class 1, 9 mile, 4700 VF route. 

Sally and I drove up the 4WD road within a mile of the South Elbert TH (road blocked by a large Aspen). So our trip was appx 10 miles RT and maybe 5K elevation gain.

The area received a foot of snow a few days ago and there was coverage more or less from the TH to the top.  Few bare spots here and there, but with a little traversing, I skied from the top to the first switchback (about 11K feet).  We booted down from there.... Great snow and setting up nicely for the next few days.

Blue sky and practically no wind all the way up.  On top by 11:00 AM and avoided darkening skies (saw lightning on near by peaks at 1:00 PM).  Saw a really neat whirlwind that moved past us in slow motion.  It was strong enough to pick up a paper thin layer of ice off the new snow (see pic). 

Good day to be out.
Great training tour for your trip.  Couldn't talk Sally into Box Creek chutes, eh? 

ha...  Not in the cards on Saturday....  but that entire face looked inviting!

Would have loved to see that 'snow devil'.  Quite rare, I should think.

Reply to this TR

may-14-2011-mt-elbert-highest-peak-in-co
TonyM
2011-05-15 08:54:38