Home > Trip Reports > Mt Shasta - 5-9 - 5-12 AG Casaval Ridge etc

Mt Shasta - 5-9 - 5-12 AG Casaval Ridge etc

5/15/11
US elsewhere
Posted by mick_scott on 5/14/11 5:00pm
My friend Bill Shigley and I left Seattle at 5pm on Sunday evening and arrived at the Bunny Flat TH at 2:30am Monday morning. After a short nap we went down to town with our friend Bryan Smith and had some breakfast at the Black Bear diner. After a quick stop at the store we were back at the trail head and off to set up camp around 8000 feet.
As you can see from the pictures the mountain has a snowpack that is deeper than it usually has mid winter. After setting up camp we set off up Avalanche Gulch for a afternoon run.
We didn't attempt the summit during our stay due to strong winds up high. The skiing probably didn't warrant the extra effort to get above 12000 feet. The skiing below that elevation however was.... AWESOME! Perfectly smooth ripper corn was found on all aspects. I doubt you could find better spring conditions on Shasta ever.
We had a great four days on the mountain. After climbing half way up Casaval Ridge on Thursday we packed up camp and had a burger in Shasta City hitting the road at 6:30pm and arriving back home after 4am Friday morning. Great trip!

/img]
Great pics, wish I could've been there............Brobra Kai!

Yeah Mick! looks great!

Looks dreamy...thanks for the tr.  WAY TO FIND THE CORN!

Btw, have any idea about how far one can drive up to Brewer Creek TH -- on the east side--before hitting impassable snow (Wintun route..)?

Great pics! Yep, it's been good corn until this weekend. It's been snowing on and off in town. A couple inches or so on the mountain. Looks like cool temps this week and by the weekend back to that sweet corn.
It's still a good 15+ miles to the Brewer Creek Trail head. It may be a while before snow melts.
www.mountshastaguide.com :)

Great TR and photos.  4 days of sunshine and corn on Shasta - perfect.  ;)

Reply to this TR

mt-shasta-5-9-5-12-ag-casaval-ridge-etc
mick_scott
2011-05-15 00:00:16