Home > Trip Reports > May 14, Alpental

May 14, Alpental

5/15/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by EricT on 5/14/11 7:17am
Inspired by folks on TAY, I decided to make this the year that I ski 12 consecutive months. I've been skiing most of my life, but only recently started working for my turns.

In any event, given a hectic schedule this month, today was the only day in May that I could ski. Given the less than promising forecast, I decided to head up to Alpental to try to get in some quick turns before the rain arrived.

I headed up from Lot 2 shortly after 9am under gray skies. There was one guy ahead of me and two guys just behind me. I worked my way up Sessel and across the Cascade Traverse. After a quick breather at the bottom of Chair 2, I headed up into Powder Bowl with the sun peaking out. As I approached the top, I wasn't sure which way to go - everything looked steep! Fortunately the two guys behind me invited me to join them, so I fell in behind and followed them up.

We chatted briefly at the top, and it turned out that one of them is listed on TAY with an extended consecutive month streak (I'm not sure what the etiquette is re using people's names so I'll refrain from naming him). Cool! Being solo, it was nice chatting with others, and it underscored for me what a friendly community this is.

They headed down International while I took a few moments to enjoy the view. When I dropped into International, I found the snow surprisingly enjoyable -- soft and a bit sticky but quite fun. There was a lot of debris in Lower International, so I worked my way over to skier's right looking for a relatively smoother patch. I continued down, cut over to Sessel and finished off with some nice turns to the bottom. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable morning.

Well, there you have it: my first TR and my public commitment to 12 months of skiing!
It was cool to have you join us on the way up. The Edelweiss Bowl route is easier than it looks from the bottom.

Nice to see you get your 1st month in today. Keep an eye on TAY for good summer expeditions and ideas. Kind of like AA, only in reverse: "One month at a time..." Hope to see more of your reports, and to see the streak stay alive as long as possible.

Reply to this TR

may-14-alpental
EricT
2011-05-14 14:17:29