Home > Trip Reports > May 13, 2011, Tatoosh Rd

May 13, 2011, Tatoosh Rd

5/13/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jhamaker on 5/13/11 12:51pm
Plowing is in progress.  Most stuff could be open to the public by May 27.  Bring your roller blades for the approaches.

Corn on  skiable Crust, fairly well bridged.  Dug small pit, S side of Castle Saddle.  No crusts encountered for over two feet below top crust - melted?  New slides off W face of Hall Foss Pk and accross the valley climax slides below 4500'. 

Surprisingly good skiing on good crust everywhere in the Tatoosh!
left the skateboard at home Friday the 13th. booted the road only to find the rangers parked at the lakes (not fair!) practicing lowering someone off the north side of castle.  rode the south side of castle and the north facing saddle to the lakes in awesome corn favorably lacking in the sticking dept.

rangers mentioned the road would be open memorial day weekend. road is plowed all the way to stevens canyon, fyi.

i'm sunburnt.

I'm overdue for a good MRNP rant.  Friday from Stevens Ridge I observed the SC Road plowing progress was almost to the bridge over Stevens Creek and it appeared that the road, parking, and turn-outs all the way to Snow Lk TH were cleared.  So why can't they open the road to skiers/hikers/climbers to that spot now instead of two weeks from now??  The MRNP Mantra of "it is what it is" prevails even in the spring.  :(

Reply to this TR

may-13-2011-tatoosh-rd
jhamaker
2011-05-13 19:51:05