Home > Trip Reports > May 9, 2011, Hanging Glacier Variation, Mt Shuksan

May 9, 2011, Hanging Glacier Variation, Mt Shuksan

5/9/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by tabski on 5/12/11 9:43am
Teamed up with Dan H. on Monday for a leisurely ski on Shuksan. Ascended the White Salmon. Then, starting from the N shoulder we entered a steep face from the Upper Curtis, skied the left flank of Hanging Glacier, and exited under the looker's right portion of the ice cliff down steep ramps and gullies.

Snow conditions were standard May variety show of crusts, powder, wet slide debris and bed surface, and so on... 

Dan in first.

Very good.

Full route.

Dan solo'ed the N face the following day and took this image of tracks.
hella f***in balls to the wall awesome.

SICK!!!!! Nice work guys.

Dantastic!

That last photo reminds me of Brigg's Grand Teton shot.  Awesome stuff.

Pure awesome.  Such a cool line. 

Sweet work again, Drew and Dan.  Thanks for sharing it here.

Filthy nasty ass!

Just a question from someone learning the avy ropes: What methods did you use to determine that the snow above the crown in your pics was stable? Scares the living daylights out of me!

author=Treehugger link=topic=20809.msg88811#msg88811 date=1305300895]
Just a question from someone learning the avy ropes: What methods did you use to determine that the snow above the crown in your pics was stable? Scares the living daylights out of me!

That's a bergschrund, not an avalanche crown. Not an answer to your question, I know, but a clarification.

I think "Hanging Glacier Headwall" would be a good name for this variation.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing: I'm referring to the image where one of the party members is looking up and admiring his tracks. I'm not referring to the massive ice cliff. Is what I'm talking about a Bergschrund? It looks like it fits the description that I just read on wikipedia (newbie :) )

If it is a Bergschrund, then I suppose it isn't such an avy red flag after all.

I think it is two views (pic 2 and 4) of the same spot.  I took it for a crown, too, until Lowell chimed in.  Hairy and scary, nonetheless.

author=Treehugger link=topic=20809.msg88815#msg88815 date=1305304266]
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing: I'm referring to the image where one of the party members is looking up and admiring his tracks. I'm not referring to the massive ice cliff. Is what I'm talking about a Bergschrund? It looks like it fits the description that I just read on wikipedia (newbie :) )

If it is a Bergschrund, then I suppose it isn't such an avy red flag after all.

Yes, it's a bergschrund. It's obvious if you know what to look for, like the sagging both above and below the feature and the fact that it's a crack, not a step. This is clearer when you recognize that pics 2 and 4 show the same face (as DavidG observed). It helps to be familiar with the mountain.

Nice tracks boys!

Sweet line. Your tracks tempted me, but the laid back slopes were really nice.

Bold and imaginative.   The work of talented artists.  A sand mandala laid upon Shuksan's slopes.

They should officially change the name to Mt ShuksDan.

Wow...outstanding you guys...Hey Drew, do you want to do another 'leisurely' lap and drag me up with Maya's Chariot??...good training weight i guarantee!!

Reply to this TR

may-9-2011-hanging-glacier-variation-mt-shuksan
tabski
2011-05-12 16:43:29