Home > Trip Reports > May 8-10, 2011, Stuart Cascadian Couloir, Corn on

May 8-10, 2011, Stuart Cascadian Couloir, Corn on

5/8/11
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jhamaker on 5/11/11 5:11am
Title

Worried about bad snow, I dusted off the randone gear.

Bryan and I spent two nights in Ingals Cr. and skied the Cascadian Couloir.  Avy conditons were High on wind-loaded, sunny slopes, moderate when frozen.

The Teanaway R Rd was driveable to w/ in a few miles of the parking lot at the end of the rd.
We skinned up the Iron Pk tr to the pass, then skied accross the nasty loaded, sun-affected E slopes of pk 6779 setting off foot deep sloppy slides on steep sections.
We skied down Turnpike Cr., crossed Ingalls Cr. and camped.
Monday we walked up the crust of the Cascadian Couloir to about 8600ft.  The rime on the summit blocks was melting out and bombing us starting at 11A.M.  We pointed the skiis down hill around noon and skiied a firm crust w/ an inch of soft corn all the way down to the avy fan.  The 4" deep fresh-snow pillows at the top were great fun.  It was not until we were just above the fan that the E faceing aspects started to melt though.  We then did a couple laps on the E facing ridge between Turnpike and Ingalls Crs.  I set off the first slide, Bryan the next.  They ran a foot deep and over ten feet wide on slopes steeper than 35 deg.  Bryan decided the best skiing was on the avy bed surface.  I agreed.  Crusts re-formed at night most aspects.  A couple inches thick but wet and soft underneath for a half foot or more untill the next crust.
Tue we skied out yesterday's ridge.  Great views.  We noticed most of LONGS PASS BASIN was gaurded by CORNICES.  We stared down to the Teanaway parking lot around noon.  Lovely skiable crust started breaking up half way down.

Gear:  Randone, Ice Axe, Megamid.  Squeeezed by w/o crampons.

Avy activity these last few days:
Natural - Point release, and cornice activated on E facing slopes up to class 2? below 7k ft.
Skier Triggered - Sun affected E slopes below 6kft.
And now it is raining :(

Reply to this TR

may-8-10-2011-stuart-cascadian-couloir-corn-on
jhamaker
2011-05-11 12:11:23