Home > Trip Reports > May 7, 2011, Dragontail Couloir, RMNP Colorado

May 7, 2011, Dragontail Couloir, RMNP Colorado

5/7/11
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 5/9/11 9:42am
Day 39
Dragontail Couloir, Flattop Mtn, RMNP

7:30 am.  40 degree couloir.  Bluebird.  Alone.
Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall blasts from my earpieces.
So I sing...

"Not me, but the people they say
Man has always led women astray
But I say, please listen when I say
she is smarter than man in every way

That's right - the women is - SMARTER!"

I belted out this last line...smiling to myself...

"That's right!"

Looking down the couloir...

"The women is SMARTER!"

A missile ZINGS past my position and I move a little faster, head down.

[What did I ever do solo before my iPod??]

Underneath the rock face I felt a little bit better.  The sun was cooking the snowfaces above me, and almost constantly a spindrift missile zips past my position.

It was go or no-go time.  Above, the couloir narrowed as it approached the fork and all missiles bouncing down the left or right fork passed the spot above me.  If I continued, I would have to cross this magic spot.  If I could get above it, at least 50% of the drama would be lessened.  Maybe more.  It was the hanging, detached cornice above the right fork that gave me the greatest pause.  IF I could get to the left fork, I would be in like Flin.  

I looked down my boot pack and saw a group of 4 making their way up, maybe a half hour behind.  At least I wasn't below anyone.

"cu cu ru cu cu --- PALOMA!!!" I shout and enter the dragon.

It was the very last step.  The snow was a firm styrofoam that had melted into a choice corn consistency, but came away from the firm snow below unexpectedly.  My axe was deep and my breathing shallow.  
"AH!" I drove my hand into the snow, kicked my crampon back into the snow and re-balanced.  PHEW.  Below my heels, 1,500 feet below, the white of Emerald Lake shone unmoved.  My heart started beating again and I rolled onto the top.

Fabulous!

After a short time, a group of about 4 other skiers arrived who climbed up from the hikers trail.  We waited for the 4 climbers to top out, enjoying the sun and reveling in the super fat coverage.

As it turns out, my brand new bindings are too big for my boots without drilling a new hole [ratfarts!], and therefore the toe hook doesn't bite down, and I get a wishy-washy feeling in my boots as I stand on top.  Oh well, who needs control?

"Snowboarder from Loveland, you want to go first??"

HELL YEAH!

Way to get after it Michael!  Nicest weekend in CO this spring to be sure. Is that Hallett Peak off to the left?  What a nice/beautiful area... too bad we couldn't see anything a couple weeks ago!  Nice pics too.

Reply to this TR

may-7-2011-dragontail-couloir-rmnp-colorado
MW88888888
2011-05-09 16:42:14