Home > Trip Reports > May 7, 2011, Yodelin

May 7, 2011, Yodelin

5/7/11
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by lapaz25 on 5/9/11 4:47am
Headed out to Yodelin with Derek & Chuck (and dog, Onyx) in hopes of hitting some good snow while staying safe.  Name the weather, we had it.  Rain at the start, high winds & heavy snow on first ridge, to blue skies, sun, and no wind for most of the day.  Ski from peak through the trees on north-facing slope was deep & sloppy.  No crust, but heavy snow just starting to get snow-bombed.  Skinned back to near summit to take more open slope in the trees, a more northwest aspect.  A little more consolidated since exposed to sun.  First person down triggered small slide during a turn on a slightly convex part of the slope.  Loud, but only 8 ft wide and about 6 inches deep.  Skinned again to gain the south-facing slope to ski out.  Yes, it was baked, heavy, and sliding on every turn.  Turns released about 1 ft slab...made it cautiously down in the tight trees, but no problems.  Slides were slow, short, and landed in the densely populated tree wells.  All in all, did about 2800 ft of vert with husband and great ski buds on a beautiful day.  Not too shabby for being 4 months pregnant-can't wait to head out again. This marked 118 months of TAY :)
"Not too shabby for being 4 months pregnant-can't wait to head out again. This marked 118 months of TAY"

Wow, not sure which is more impressive! Congrats!!!

Thanks! Kept skiing event post-due date while HUGE with my first-hope I can do that again. The deep snow pack will sure make it easier this summer.  My little girl who just turned two requested to go skiing last month & did! Can't wait to bring her out, too.  Possible future TAYer in our midst.  All we hear now is, "More skiing, mommy?"

Was up doing a crevasse rescue review at Yodelin on the 8th..  listened to releases from across the hwy all day long... 

Yes-I forgot to mention we heard what we thought was a tremendously large avalanche across the highway, as well.  It sounded like an out of control jet -we thought it was so big it was going to cover the highway. Couldn't see it, only heard it. Glad we weren't there!

Oh, and correction to my original post: the slope that was sliding with every turn at the end of the day was NORTH-FACING, as well. Not south-facing. Just goes to show how crazy it is out there right now. Be careful.

beautiful!... not even out of the womb and already clockin a 4 month streak.

'sounded like an out of control jet'

I hate it when you here that noise,  your hair standsup, then you realise it WAS just a jet.

Reply to this TR

may-7-2011-yodelin
lapaz25
2011-05-09 11:47:39