Home > Trip Reports > May 7, 2011, Blewett Pass -- Diamond Head

May 7, 2011, Blewett Pass -- Diamond Head

5/7/11
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Randito on 5/7/11 12:37pm
I originally was heading for Bean creek in the Teanaway, but noticed thick clouds over the Teanaway, but blue patches over Blewett Pass -- so headed that way.  Parked at first pullout over the pass -- logging road 1st mile had patchy coverage, skinned up extreme western side of clearcut where the shade from the forest had protected the snow -- connected with the XC-15 trail -- snow in the forest was crusty.  As we reached the bottom the NE slope off Diamond Head a snow squall hit and deposted an inch or so of new snow while skiing up the NE slope. 

Near the top caught up with a group of climbers that had come from the Blewett Pass sno-park on snowshoes and where now postholing up the right hand side of the slope -- they were roped up, but also walking in a tight bunch with long loops of rope dragging on the snow -- WTF ?

After reaching the top the clouds parted for a bit yielding a bit of a view of the Enchantments.  Took at look at the W slope -- which are mostly bare and the N slope which looked to be well covered with snow as well as with snowboard tracks. 

NE slope skiied OK -- top 100 feet are a bit steeper and ski cuts set off slow wet surface slides -- so we descended this section by traversing and garlands. 

Once the angle eased off skiing the fall line yielded some enjoyable turns in heavy wet snow with only a few pinwheels being set off.

Note: afterwards, I was able to drive up from the Blewett Pass sno-park up to the "forest discovery trail" parking lot -- which might make a good starting point for hitting the N slopes.

Left camera at home to tempt the sun into showing up -- so no pictures today.
Thanks for the report, Randy.  It's usually over at Blewett by May.  Did you see the tipi?

author=glenn_b link=topic=20768.msg88563#msg88563 date=1304827033]
Thanks for the report, Randy.  It's usually over at Blewett by May.  Did you see the tipi?

Yes -- or even mid-april

I did not see the tipi-- but then I didn't know there was one out there to look for... I've often thought it would be nice to have some sort of camp/cabin/lodge in the Tronsen Meadows area.

author=Randy link=topic=20768.msg88562#msg88562 date=1304825840]
-- so we descended this section by traversing and garlands. 

The infamous ski school "garland".  ;)

author=Randy link=topic=20768.msg88562#msg88562 date=1304825840]
Near the top caught up with a group of climbers that had come from the Blewett Pass sno-park on snowshoes and where now postholing up the right hand side of the slope -- they were roped up, but also walking in a tight bunch with long loops of rope dragging on the snow -- WTF ?

...i suspect that their collective maneuvers constitute a new form of 'drafting'... ;D

Reply to this TR

may-7-2011-blewett-pass-diamond-head
Randito
2011-05-07 19:37:20