Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2011, East Gardner South Couloir

May 4, 2011, East Gardner South Couloir

5/4/11
Posted by fwb on 5/6/11 9:25am
Wednesday had a good weather window and my last one off for a while. Had no takers, so did a quicky solo of East Gardner.  A long walk in to solid snow.  Was warm at night so postholed going in in places, then finally after 5 miles firm snow.  Too hard for good skinning so booted to the summits.  Then at the steep would break through knee deep under the crust.  So€¦ kept booting it.  Interesting that the snow up high is very shallow and many ridges swept bare that I've seen many feet of snow on.  Guess the snow didn't get wet enough before being blown off.
The payoff was a south and east running couloir under the east summit with sweet corn.  Down to a hidden valley and gladed slopes dropping back to the far east end of the burn.  Every turn good and worth the morning walk in.  Was a good day trip and good brew and grub at the Twisp Pub.

Full tr here

Wonderful TR and images.  The vista photos with the labelled outlines of the peaks is very nice and helpful.  A loooooong day.  Thanks for sharing.

Cool! The well written report and labelled pics are really appreciated!

Impressive blog at the link... Nice job!

very nice franklin.  the terrain up there looks fantastic!

Awesome stuff. Makes me want to get up there! Thanks for all the great images and story.

Reply to this TR

may-4-2011-east-gardner-south-couloir
fwb
2011-05-06 16:25:23