Home > Trip Reports > December 19, 2004, MRNP - Shiney POWDER!

December 19, 2004, MRNP - Shiney POWDER!

12/19/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 12/19/04 5:50am
;) ;) ;)

Well where should I start.  After spending last weekend earning some turns at Crystal's opening (along with many stink eyes from pro & voli patrols) and carving up 30k plus this past Friday, at a desserted Crystal, I was ready for some real torture.

I pulled into the Paradise parking lot about 8:45 along with a half dozen other cars.  Temps were tolerable but the combo of light drizzle and wind got them cold weather indicators in effect.  Turns out I parked next to Chris (casshole/cascadefreak) and his 2 buddies from the east.  Parked next to them was Kam, Kelvin, Allyson, and Skip.  We got our gear ready and rolled out just after 9.

The skin up was the usual and the snow mushy and crusty.  Lots of tracks going up in every direction.  Once we passed the first hill the winds started to pick up a bit from the southwest.  With the winds came the clouds but blue skies could be seen overhead.  So onward we marched up the traditional summer route.  Visibility would come and go.  Every now and then the clouds would lift it's skirt and we were rewarded with good views of the mountain.  By the time we neared the top of Pan Pt. the winds started gusting around 40mph plus.  Surface turned to firm/ice.  Things only got better from here. ;)  We ended up stopping just below McClure rock and sought shelter next to a huge wind lip.  We shared some laughs, ate, and watched Kam almost break his neck trying to snap some pics of us.  As much fun as we're having it was time to go.

We didn't waste anytime sliding on some of the best firm/ice conditions I've ever been on. ;D  I even managed to get multiple face shot when I turned my face into the wind. ;D  So we headed back down to Pan Pt. and descended via west facing chute.  Snow conditions back to the car were anywhere from nice carvable mush to trap crust to firm boot pack.  Can't wait to see some of your pics Kam.  Anyway anyday out in the bc beats doing work around the house!
The eastern contingent was my brother and myself.  We're from Ohio, but both live in Washington now.  Yesterday's conditions brought back fond memories of skiing ice rinks laid over recovered trash heaps in lower Michigan.

The best part of the trip was probably the ascent, as well as some of the skiing at the very top.  It looked like a storm was coming in as we left, but the snow's likely to blow off.  Until there's some real accumulation, a pair of ski crampons is a good idea.  The slopes there were bulletproof in places (wish I'd brought a hockey stick), but the angle was low enough to be exciting but manageable for this novice.

Down low, the snow was like cement; it grabbed your skis and made turning difficult.

Not a bad day- some nice views when the clouds broke- but I'm definitely hoping for better snow next time.

Water-ice not withstanding, it was a pretty fun ski!  ;)
It had been a long while since the last time I used my ski-pons.
--Chris / Casshole

Inclined hockey would be interesting, and pucks or not, skates would have been quite useful in places. Sounds like we were off by a day, but I'm with Eric, any day outside in the mountains is better than a day working on the house.

It was nice meeting and skiing with all of you!

it was a nice day, especially after it cleared later in the afternoon.  thanks everyone for the laughs.  below is a photo of Daniel keeping his edges under control:

More Pictures:  ascendingenjoying the viewthe lunch roomshiny powder

btw, merry Christmas and happy New Years everyone!

-kam

If I ever move back to New England, I'll remember to invite you guys out for some tours right after the freeze that always comes after the thaw. Sounds like you'd love it...

Reply to this TR

december-19-2004-mrnp-shiney-powder
snoslut
2004-12-19 13:50:50