Home > Trip Reports > May 3, 2011, Alpental Dusk Patrol

May 3, 2011, Alpental Dusk Patrol

5/3/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by trees4me on 5/4/11 4:53am
Got a quick after work lap in at Alpy on Tuesday.  Our group was quite diverse from light AT to snowshoes to boots.  The boots didn't work well, but everyone else made good time.

A few inches of slush on Debbies skied fantastic.  Chair 2 was dry and windpacked ~6" deep.  Most of the tracks from Sunday had been filled in!

Came across a patrol snowstick, the first reading I could see was 225-in!!!!  It's May!  AMAZING!
Nice, I'm a big fan of the after work Alpy laps.

Did you see Nash at all?  I wonder if the bumps from this weekend are filled in...that would be pretty sweet for spring corn.

Was up there a couple of times last week trying to be courteous and staying away from obvious ski patrol work times and places, especially in light of the new "improved" policy of no access on closed days while in season. Wife and I got some friendly hellos the first day. My brother and I recieved a bit of a lecture from the guy in charge the next day, although it was apparent that he was only doing his job and other than warning us about obvious dangers there was no attempt to stop us. What really gets me, is that we climbed to the top yesterday in glorious sunshine in a group of 4 to celebrate "Quatro De Mayo" since it was going to rain on Cinco...........The ski patrol and all of their buddies who were riding the lifts to help dissasemble the mountain now that it's closed for the season seemed a little stand-offish, almost like we were invading their personal party. Nobody said much, and after asking and receiving a little advice about staying out of the way of work parties from the guys at the top grilling cheeseburgers, we ripped down upper Nash in suprisingly good conditions. Just before starting lower Nash, we encountered 2 patrollers, one of whom seemed to take personal offence that we had the audacity to ski unsupervised on his closed mountain. I good naturedly answered his questions and listened to his lecture, after all it was Quatro De Mayo, but made a mental note not to invite him to our margarita party that we were going to set up at the base of the Armstrong lift.
My question is this; What is going on?! I understand that they had to spout the new party line about staying off Alpi for "safety" reasons on closed days during the season. As I understand it, it's part of some new agreement pertaining to their lease with the Forest Service. But doesn't it belong to all of us now, now that it's closed for the season?
I'm changing the bumper sticker on the back of my Subaru.......It's going to say;" Screw Tibet......Free Alpental!"

author=freeskier link=topic=20733.msg88471#msg88471 date=1304632875]
Was up there a couple of times last week trying to be courteous and staying away from obvious ski patrol work times and places, especially in light of the new "improved" policy of no access on closed days while in season. Wife and I got some friendly hellos the first day. My brother and I recieved a bit of a lecture from the guy in charge the next day, although it was apparent that he was only doing his job and other than warning us about obvious dangers there was no attempt to stop us. What really gets me, is that we climbed to the top yesterday in glorious sunshine in a group of 4 to celebrate "Quatro De Mayo" since it was going to rain on Cinco...........The ski patrol and all of their buddies who were riding the lifts to help dissasemble the mountain now that it's closed for the season seemed a little stand-offish, almost like we were invading their personal party. Nobody said much, and after asking and receiving a little advice about staying out of the way of work parties from the guys at the top grilling cheeseburgers, we ripped down upper Nash in suprisingly good conditions. Just before starting lower Nash, we encountered 2 patrollers, one of whom seemed to take personal offence that we had the audacity to ski unsupervised on his closed mountain. I good naturedly answered his questions and listened to his lecture, after all it was Quatro De Mayo, but made a mental note not to invite him to our margarita party that we were going to set up at the base of the Armstrong lift.
My question is this; What is going on?! I understand that they had to spout the new party line about staying off Alpi for "safety" reasons on closed days during the season. As I understand it, it's part of some new agreement pertaining to their lease with the Forest Service. But doesn't it belong to all of us now, now that it's closed for the season?
I'm changing the bumper sticker on the back of my Subaru.......It's going to say;" Screw Tibet......Free Alpental!"

They were doing breakdown. The mountain isn't returned to it's feral state until they clean up the ropes, bamboo, signage, etc. It is/was technically under their control while you were poking around, which is why you got some verbage.

Wait a week for your cheezburgers.

author=freeskier link=topic=20733.msg88471#msg88471 date=1304632875] I'm changing the bumper sticker on the back of my Subaru.......It's going to say;" Screw Tibet......Free Alpental!"

hilarious!
a few guys standing in the employee lot (last week? wk before?) said they got the same vibe. bummer...

it's officially "free" now, I guess?

if the summit's policy is going to be shut down alpental with 225" of snowpack, and i can't use my pass, then i'm not going to listen to patrollers or management whine.

PS  shot 4 is looking real nice...

Reply to this TR

may-3-2011-alpental-dusk-patrol
trees4me
2011-05-04 11:53:25