Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2011, Front Range Colorado

May 1, 2011, Front Range Colorado

5/1/11
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 5/3/11 8:40am
Day 37

Front Range, Colorado

5 am.  O'dark thirty and away we go... 

It is 14 degrees F with no wind.  2 degrees colder than yesterday.  But yesterday there was 4" - 8" of new and untracked powder on the drive into the parking lot.  Today only drifts across the asphalt.  But it is after all May.  May!  Ha!  I have my full-on winter regalia and my cold wax on the board.  May!  Ha!

I leave the lot and plod up the track from yesterday.  I can tell there was a small group who sampled the goods in the afternoon, otherwise, there are few signs of visitors.   

The snowpack is ENORMOUS.  200% of normal - so everything looks...well, smooth.  Fences are covered.  Trees are covered.  Everything looks lower than usual.   

Toward the top of my line, the reddish orange blaze of cloud-reflected sunlight splashes the snowscene around me.  As I climb, the colors change to pink and then to yellow.  I turn to face the sun as it crests over the plains, a narrow window of light under a thick blanket of clouds that blots the rest of the sky. 

Now is my time.  I drop the board, take nurishments of all kinds, and don my sunglasses.

It's been years since I've skied the Lost Trail, but today is the day.  I drop the upper bowl and dance down the boot deep powder, traversing into the secret line.

I find untracked powder all the way back to the car. 

May!  Ha!   

Well written.

Kind of miss the flaming colors of the sunrise you don't really see in the PNW.

Reply to this TR

may-1-2011-front-range-colorado
MW88888888
2011-05-03 15:40:34