Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2011, Lennox Mtn - Goat Basin

May 1, 2011, Lennox Mtn - Goat Basin

5/1/11
Posted by Kenji on 5/2/11 6:18am
After years of looking on maps, and reading reports, I was finally able to visit the Goat Basin on Lennox with willing friends: Rich, Daryl, David and Anne. The weather was perfect for deep still unconsolidated snow pack: sunny, but not too hot.

Parked about 1/4 mile from a Money Creek crossing, Rich promptly guided us into the thick brush.  The snow coverage was already too thin for quick ski travel at this basin bottom at ~2000'.  Crystal Lake was showing sign of Spring melt, but we carefully crossed it to gain the West ridge.

The upper slope is holding deep snow pack topped with soft snow a few days old which made good skiing. The view from the ridge top was spectacular in all directions, many inviting slopes around. Great to visit another local slope with minor bushwhacking ritual.
OK, could you please post those beautiful photos of skiing
untracked slopes.  ;)

What Kenji means when he says, "we carefully crossed" Crystal Lake, he really means, let's see if Rich falls in.  However, we were all soon dancing around on the ice.

As we climbed above the lake, we had to stop and turn around to not miss the views.
We were all smiles when we finally made the summit.  
Soon Kenji was ready for some fun.

Dave, all dressed in black, was one hot skier on this sunny day.  
Not a bad day to be in the mountains.

The more, the better, right?  Hope nobody is using a dialup...

nice! any pictures of Goat Basin proper?

Great pictures guys!  Thanks for posting those since i did not have a camera that day.  Truely an awesome day in the mountains.  Once again the skiing was even better than i thought it would be.

author=Zap link=topic=20716.msg88357#msg88357 date=1304392887]
OK, could you please post those beautiful photos of skiing
untracked slopes.  ;)

Another great tour and photos.   ;)

Thanks, Zap.  How are you healing?  And Jill's ACL recovery?

author=alpinedave link=topic=20716.msg88377#msg88377 date=1304443095]
nice! any pictures of Goat Basin proper?

Got just a partial one.  Maybe Rich got some more.

author=Kenji link=topic=20716.msg88390#msg88390 date=1304455759]
Thanks, Zap.  How are you healing?  And Jill's ACL recovery?

I suffered a setback by trying to accelerate my rehab. :(  Hopefully, the snowpack will still be around later this summer. Jill's ACL recovery is long and still painful.  She's working towards skiing again next season.

Keep posting the reports and photos, it keeps me motivated. ;)

Awesome!

Been wanting to get up tehre. Point and stare up there for a split second everytime we drive by the tunnel. Kind of an anomaly how much snow that peak gets comparatively? Reminiscent of hemispheres on baker from across the way.

Kenji,
Yet another commendable exploration, on the list for far too long!  You guys have a knack for getting through whatever challenges beset the start to find some great Stuff and great tours.  Great pic of David cranking in good form.
Thanks for the post,
John

Reply to this TR

may-1-2011-lennox-mtn-goat-basin
Kenji
2011-05-02 13:18:59