Home > Trip Reports > April,30, Muir

April,30, Muir

4/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoholic on 4/30/11 2:29pm
With the unsettled weather and snopack conditions cruising up to Muir seemed like it may be a good option. Turns out it was.  Nice smooth sailing packed pow on the snowfield, easy creamy turns on the ridges, from pan point area down it stayed in the clouds today thus keeping it cool / not to sticky and surprisingly skiable.  I Imagine it will be quite nice again tomorrow as it stayed cold today.
Regrettably we descended too late to enjoy the nice creamed up snow and were treated to various forms of "other" snow.  Fog was pretty intense between 8500 and 6000 on the way down so we stuck near the wands which didn't help matters.  Snow below Pan Point had gotten really heavy and turns had to be worked for.  Still it was really nice to see all the people up there enjoying the break in the weather.  Here's a couple shots.

There's a lot of wind eroded snow between moon rocks and Muir.  It seemed to mellow a bit on the sculpting below that.  Way warmer than the forecast said and there wasn't really any wind except at the very top, and that just in puffs.

Chuck -- Great seeing you up there.  Sounds like you made the top -- though we didn't see you the rest of the day.  It was colder than it seemed judging by my frozen bladder hose that I left exposed to the weather while we were basking in the warm sun at Muir and enjoying a growler of Manny's that Bob was good enough to haul up.  Ditto on the skiing -- the reason to be out was the sun up high and a great workout.  Skiing was marginal.

Reply to this TR

april-30-muir
snoholic
2011-04-30 21:29:53