Home > Trip Reports > April 23, 2011,Spearhead Traverse,Cheakamus N Face

April 23, 2011,Spearhead Traverse,Cheakamus N Face

4/23/11
Posted by Atraslin on 4/27/11 4:17am
Day 2

Spearhead Traverse, Cheakamus North Face

We did Baker the day before, with the weather forecast looking good we wanted to do another trip favorite.

Two brothers from Blackcomb meet three others from Whistler and ski the North face of Cheakamus.

It was my plan to do the Spearhead traverse plus ski Cheakmus North Face. It is one of the most remote and unskied lines I haven't done on the Spearhead. I don't know if my brother knew about the plan, but conditions we're right to ski it.It was even better when we got to the Iago col there were three skiers climbing up Cheakamus from the Whistler side.How convenient.

We met on the ridge and I convinced them to bag the peak and ski off the summit.They got first dibs on the line and didn't waste any time ripping fast turns down the face off some of the spines in epic knee deep dry condtions. I settled for some 90's style turns trying not to get taken out by my sluff.

Andy climbing Chek ridge

Mike climbing Chek ridge

Matty, Dominic, Tim summit shot

Andy , Mike summit shot

Mike dropping in.

Andy droping in

Ski Lines

Skiers: Andy Traslin, Mike Traslin, Matty Richard, Tim, Dominic

author=Atraslin link=topic=20671.msg88127#msg88127 date=1303931852]
. I settled for some 90's style turns trying not to get taken out by my sluff.

They look great.  ;)

2 good days, eh?

Yes I have wanted to time two good weather days (and stabilty) to get these done in two days....The North Face of Cheakamus was a good Bonus, especially to ski it in powder in stable conditions....

Can Am Challenge....

A short video from the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFXyyYK9D7c

Reply to this TR

april-23-2011-spearhead-traverse-cheakamus-n-face
Atraslin
2011-04-27 11:17:32