Home > Trip Reports > April 22, 2011, Spearhead Traverse Variation

April 22, 2011, Spearhead Traverse Variation

4/22/11
Posted by samthaman on 4/26/11 2:53am
Allen, Mason, and I set out to do the Spearhead traverse in a day on Friday. The weather was awesome, the snow was great, and views were stunning. It was one of the best days I've had in the mountains in some time. We started our traverse at Blackcomb, but skinned along a lower skin track to avoid the crowds. From the top of Iago, we skied the west face down to the valley below, then back up the other side to the Overlord glacier. It sounds like there were quite a few other TAY'ers out there that day, sorry we missed you!

For beta:
- skin-tracks are broken in just about anywhere you might want to go, the up-side of hoards of people out there.
- The singing pass trail has tons of coverage all the way to the bottom
- Snow depth is still very deep, and crevasse danger appeared to be low.
- North facing slopes were powdery, while south facing slopes were corn.  ;D

Some photos;

more photos here
Well done! As Pete and I were skiing back to the Whistler base on Saturday I commented that the only thing that would make the trip better would be if we were to see a bear (saw one at the midstation several years ago.)  Looks like you guys got that nugget of coolness! Great pics!

author=BeckyB link=topic=20651.msg88048#msg88048 date=1303841628]
Well done! As Pete and I were skiing back to the Whistler base on Saturday I commented that the only thing that would make the trip better would be if we were to see a bear (saw one at the midstation several years ago.)  Looks like you guys got that nugget of coolness! Great pics!

Thanks! what was really weird was that the bear was only about 100yds or meters or whatever from the party going on at the base.

I spy Allen in his backcountry-downhill-racer-with-a-backpack tuck.

The backpack gives him a better aerodynamic profile.

Great TR guys, nice job.  I love the Whistler bear population.

Great TR and photos.

Reply to this TR

april-22-2011-spearhead-traverse-variation
samthaman
2011-04-26 09:53:46