Home > Trip Reports > April 23, 2011. Alaska and circumnav of Chikamin

April 23, 2011. Alaska and circumnav of Chikamin

4/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by ryanl on 4/24/11 4:04pm
Have to say, I'm pretty impressed by the amount of quality trips people had this past weekend. Sure is nice to be part of such a motivated and talented community. 

Eric and I decided to take advantage of the fat snowpack and cool temperatures by vision questing around Chikamin yesterday. The 21 hour trip began in the Commonwealth at 4 and ended with a 2 mile hilke from the Gold Creek trail head back to Eric's car at exit 52. A truly spectacular day with a great friend. Thanks Eric. 

Eric at the col between Red and Kendell, with Chikamin in the distance:

Eric on top of Alaska:

The northwest side of Chikamin. Anybody want to ski Thomson with me?

What we came to ski (click the image):

First turn on Chikamin:

The nicely filled-in summit pyramid of Chikamin

Chikamin, from Gold Creek:

Looking back at our route. Does anyone know the name of the peak I've labeled with a question mark?

Cool trip!  I usually start hallucinating around hour 18.  21 hours sounds grueling!  Mt. Thompson looks big...

Damn... nice work you two.  What a weekend folks had...

What a beauty of a day!

Gotta admit, when Zbo told me you guys were heading out to Chikamin Sat,  I was a little jealous.... I was not 21 hrs jealous or GC exit jealous though. ;)

Very cool Ryan. Awesome area, eh. Way to get out there. That line off Chikamin is super nice...and a good plan b for sure.

nice job guys!

way to go eric and ryan !!

And I thought Louie and I's  nine hour trenching effort on Baker was hard!!  Good work Ryan!

(I gave a shudder looking over at the Coleman Headwall.  The bottom ice cliff is not the nice fan that I like to ski above when I get on steep slopes.)

Awesome TR and a fantastic effort.
Way to pack it all into a single day, w00t!

Way to utilize the daypacks!  Monstrous outing Ryan & Eric.

The question mark peak is a satellite peak of Mt. Snoqualmie that borders skier's right of the Crooked Couloir. 

Nice work and great picts!!

That mystery peak got me to pull out the topo software.  My guess is that your '?' is actually Chair.  The ones labeled Chair and Kaleentan are Kaleetan and maybe Roosevelt.  Not quite enough pixels to be sure...

WRT to the exit, did you follow the summer trail or do something different?  How did the NE bowl of Alta look?

Serious mileage, for sure. Nice one, guys!

Mofro, if you'd been on board we'd have been out before nightfall.

Erik, we came out west of Gold creek, and crossed that beauty with deer-like grace right about a mile from the trailhead. We'd been following a faint but relatively recent skin and dog track from Alaska but got fed up with unfamiliar uneven terrain. And you may be right about the question mark peak, but I think Trevor's got it right.

Yeah fellas, super trip!  Steph & I were thinking of you and hoping you were having a good time.  Now we know you had a long time too  ;)

Wow.
Killer trip, Ryan... way to slay 'em.

Right on...way to fulfill the vision.

author=ryanl link=topic=20639.msg87955#msg87955 date=1303715098]
Have to say, I'm pretty impressed by the amount of quality trips people had this past weekend. Sure is nice to be part of such a motivated and talented community. 

Agreed.

Thanks for posting your trip.  It sure is nice to share in what the more motivated and talented members of our community are up to.  ;)

What an epic day - nice work!

Beautiful area....AND TRIP....Thanks for sharing!!!!

finally caught up and posted some pics.  thanks for vision questing, ryan--an odyssey with views.

hyak_erik, while this was a week ago already, there's a link here to a couple shots of the Alta perspective you were looking for...

http://skisickness.com/post/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=214 

I usually hate Star Trek, Next Generation allusions but you are strong.  Thanks for sharing(pics!).

Hedonaut, thanks so much for the pictures!  I look out to Chikamin so often, it is great to get the reverse view for a change.

Gotta laugh at how small my little Hyak (and Catherine and Silver) look from that view! 

Ryan the Lion and E Money on a rampage.

Reply to this TR

april-23-2011-alaska-and-circumnav-of-chikamin
ryanl
2011-04-24 23:04:58