Home > Trip Reports > April 23, 2011, Tatoosh Bluebird

April 23, 2011, Tatoosh Bluebird

4/23/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Pierce on 4/24/11 12:06pm
We got a late-ish start, 11 or so and worked our way up to the saddle near Castle Peak.  The late start was in our favor because it gave the crust a chance to soften up.  We did three runs during the course of the day.  We were met with variable snow conditions, as one would expect, but it was all very stable, (we were on the North aspect).  The steeper stuff had the best snow, once it leveled out, it became very sticky (you know the type of snow where your skis stop unexpectedly and your upper body keeps going).  So you had to keep alert even on the easy stuff.

Altogether a great day, surprised to see only one other group out skiing.

Below is a link with the video from the day.

http://www.thealpineobsession.com/tatoosh-2.html

Sorry for the bouncing camera, my goggle straps were too loose.
Awesome video! Pretty sure I was the guy you met up top with the girl. The other two skies not the snowshoes if you saw them.. With the girl who actually talked while i just sat there lol.

We had basically the same conditions as you guys but after you sort of stopped in the first run we went skiers right. Really ran into everything from 3-4" of powder to ice to sticky snow to corn. Made skiing interesting. 100" of corn then sticky snow followed by powder followed by ice lol.  We only did the one run. Actually on the road out i put skins on and she kept just plain skis. She had no problem "climbing" out the few uphill spots a he snow was sticky enough that slow to give some traction.

Was to warm for me though! 34F when we left the truck from the parking lot (39F at longmire on the way up) and was 60 when we hit the park entrance on the way out (when i bothered to look)

Heres a few of my pictures. My partner skinning up, our view the whole way up, and my partner skiing down

Reply to this TR

april-23-2011-tatoosh-bluebird
Pierce
2011-04-24 19:06:35