Home > Trip Reports > April 23, 2011, St. Helens, West side

April 23, 2011, St. Helens, West side

4/23/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Boot on 4/24/11 9:33am
FSR 8123 (to Blue Lk) reopened last year, after suffering wash-outs several years ago, so I spent a day hiking around the area last summer and found a very nice, direct route up to the West crater rim that looked like a great winter or spring trip.  Snowmo days are limited with roads melting out, but it looked like a good day to get over there and indeed was.  Rolled into Cougar snow-park Friday night and found 2-3' of packed snow still on the road at only 2275"!!  No more grooming, but road/trail to the end of 8123 was fast and easy with deep snow at 3200'.  Travel up was quick and easy; about 30' through easy woods and then up the second gully NW of Butte Camp Dome.  Beautiful Blue the whole day, but way more wind than expected/forcasted, though it finally died down about 11am.  On top by 12:30 where we took in those fabulous views  8).  The ride down was loads of fun with about 2000' of wind pack powder, 2000' of corn, and of course 1000' of sticky slop from recent snow that hasn't really packed down yet but got cooked by very warm afternoon temps.  Marble Mtn Sno-Park was reopened with warning sign that it is unplowed, but didn't venture up, so can't say how deep or messy the road is.  It's a ways down there, but I was back in Tacoma having a steak dinner at 6:30  :).  I'm certain John has way better images and will hopefully add some candy.
looks amazing thanks! Was considering but my partner decided for something wya more mellower  for a tour after not doing anything for a month :)

Should be up there mothers day weekend though! glad to hear its still pretty decent snow!

Great trip and a great day.

Here are some more photos. Also more photos at http://gallery.me.com/jcocci/101879

Nice work you two, getting out to a seldom-skied aspect of an oft-skied mountain. Great photos, stunning day. Love the view of Mt Adams centered above the deep notch in the rim carved by the Shoestring Glacier.

I've long been planning to ski that side (probably human-powered after Road 81 melts out), but have never made it there yet. Someday...

Reply to this TR

april-23-2011-st-helens-west-side
Boot
2011-04-24 16:33:50