Home > Trip Reports > April 22, 2011, Muir windblown pow 9K-7K good

April 22, 2011, Muir windblown pow 9K-7K good

4/22/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by dkoelle on 4/22/11 12:34pm
The two of us cooled our heels at Longmire till about 8:40 when they opened the gate and got going about 9:15.  The shadows held divine powder in the morning which we prodded with our poles whilst skinning.  My first time up the "winter route" for Pan Point, but others had no problem with the main face. A little windy at the top; had to put on warm gloves and a vest.  The first 700 or so VF had areas that were windblown to crustiness (although largely decent with pockets of powder). The main part of the upper snowfield was then great: not exactly light, but predictable, smooth and fun; pushable.  Watched a pair drop Nisq. chutes.  We exited from below Pan Point skiers left down to 4th cross/"the bridge".  No tracks; wonderful mellow meadows and hillsides if thick.  I have never seen that much snow in there. Snow was ~15 feet deep on the uphill side of the Reflection Lakes cutoff road. Fortunately a previous party had sort of punched a breach in the wall or we would have had real trouble exiting to the road.  Saw two foxes on the way out including a total beggar on the road towards Narada.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/koelle/
that begger fox at narada almost got me killed when some idiot stopped on a blind curve and i almost tailended him as  a giant SUV swerved around me into the oncoming lane which fortunately was empty. when i hit my horn the fox climbed a ten foot vertical snow wall with no problem.

Reply to this TR

april-22-2011-muir-windblown-pow-9k-7k-good
dkoelle
2011-04-22 19:34:24