Home > Trip Reports > April 19, 2011, Chair Peak, Northeast Buttress

April 19, 2011, Chair Peak, Northeast Buttress

4/19/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by tabski on 4/20/11 1:50am
On Tuesday, April 19th Dan H. and myself skied Chair Peak via the Northeast Buttress.

The route was very filled in, with the bottom ice step only about 10m long and the upper ice step around 3m. Elsewhere conditions were 3''-12'' of freshly fallen fluff over the ~3'' thick breakable rain crust which formed the previous Saturday. There were easy shears above and below the rain crust, but we were blessed with perfect April weather; mostly cloudy with occasional sun breaks thus preventing any serious warming which would have definitely sent us packing.

We skied from the summit and were able to ski the upper ice step before rappelling (skis on) about 20m at the lower step. A sticky but enjoyable ski to the car concluded our day.

Image from

WOW, great TR and photos.

You continue to defile ice climbs by skiing down them!

Good one.....Beautiful....

What Stefan said!!!

Impressive, thanks for the TR and photos.

you buggers!  had my eye on that for a while now...
well played, nice timing.

damn impressive backyard skiing guys.

what a great trip!

That's a beauty line.

Fantastic stuff, amazing line, well done sirs!

Thanks! incredible,.... 

Why isn't there someone out there doing documentary filming of this kind of thing? Perhaps, I am obsessed with both skiing and the mountains in general, but I am intigued by every aspect of this kind of adventure. I find it inconcievable that there is not market to produce and broadcast this type of ski mountaineering on film.

Instead, our television gives us a bunch of pimple face kids with their pants falling down, holding up cans of 'Mountain Dew' at the bottom of some half pipe.

Pure awesome. Photo #3 is perfect.

Agreed on photo #3. Steep face that rolls off steeper to empty space :-)

Rad!  Is that a plastic shovel in pic #2?  Good work guys!

Strong work, men! Nice job.

Just plain awesome.  Thx for sharing. 

so, is that a first ski descent of the full length of the route (with rappel)? maybe it's a stupid question but i've only heard of sky sjue skiing the upper face and bailing due to conditions. any other record of ski descents? lowell? very jealous btw, nice job.

Another view yesterday on our way to Roosevelt...

author=gorp link=topic=20601.msg87854#msg87854 date=1303571670]
so, is that a first ski descent of the full length of the route (with rappel)? maybe it's a stupid question but i've only heard of sky sjue skiing the upper face and bailing due to conditions. any other record of ski descents? lowell?

First ski descent that I know of.

author=Kenji link=topic=20601.msg87864#msg87864 date=1303582060]
Another view yesterday on our way to Roosevelt...

Great pic as usual, Kenji.  Thanks. 
First descent, really, Lowell?  Figured some Alpentalic might have done it back in the day.

Dan and Drew - super cool, i have climbed it as an ice climb ;-)  Guess i need to get one of those anti gravity suits or something.  Congratulations boys!

Karl and Eric Blumhagen
mid 90's
207's
no axes

night night

Badass. Well done, guys.

author=alpentaliban link=topic=20601.msg87931#msg87931 date=1303683525]
Karl and Eric Blumhagen
mid 90's
207's
no axes

night night

Does anybody know more about this descent? Anybody know Karl and Eric Blumhagen? I'd like to capture whatever information is available for my records. (I sent a PM to alpentaliban for more info.)

Karl's on Facebook.

author=tele.skier link=topic=20601.msg87775#msg87775 date=1303399713]
Why isn't there someone out there doing documentary filming of this kind of thing? Perhaps, I am obsessed with both skiing and the mountains in general, but I am intigued by every aspect of this kind of adventure. I find it inconcievable that there is not market to produce and broadcast this type of ski mountaineering on film.

I would love to capture these key events in the local ski community. With the invention of more HD wearable cams, more and more peope are self producing their own films/videos.

I love to do this stuff, so if anyone sets out to do such a thing, let me know - i would love to capture it on film (or SD card)

I have lots of my videos here:
http://vimeo.com/millcreekmm
http://www.youtube.com/scotteryx

If anyone is interested in teaming up for anything, let me know

author=alpentaliban link=topic=20601.msg87931#msg87931 date=1303683525]
Karl and Eric Blumhagen
mid 90's
207's
no axes

night night

With help from glenn_b and Karl Blumhagen, it has been determined that the point skied by Karl and his brother in the mid-1990s was a little left (south) of the true summit of Chair, as viewed from the thumb tack. They didn't ski the NE Buttress of Chair Peak. Thanks to Glenn and Karl for helping to get the story straight.

Reply to this TR

april-19-2011-chair-peak-northeast-buttress
tabski
2011-04-20 08:50:35