Home > Trip Reports > 04.16.2011, House-to-house: the Mogul area

04.16.2011, House-to-house: the Mogul area

4/15/11
Posted by kam on 4/17/11 5:23pm
I've had my eye on this thing since I moved to the neighborhood a few years ago:

Finally, I convinced two friends, Ben and Joe, to join me for a nice late Saturday afternoon stroll.  The approach didn't look that bad from the house.  But to save some time, we rode from my house starting at 3:45 pm:

It turned out to be 3300 vf of gain and a round trip distance of approximately 9 miles, house-to-house.  Yes, we were late for dinner!  But the snow was fantastic!  Great corn turn after turn, about 1000 vf of skiing!

More photos:

Fun....

Are you riding a Voodoo....I had that bike!

Sweet, Kam...
Questions:
1. Elevation at the top?
2. Joy-O-Meter ratio?

We're starting this year's Glacier Travel/Crevasse Rescue classes tomorrow. Wish you and Ally were around to help. Always enjoyed working with you...
The topic of the "Crevasse Angels" came up at the instructor training sessions :)

Sure is nice to see the sun and corn snow in the same place at the same time.  Photo 5 of Joe skimming and inch or 2 of cream looks effortless.  ;)

@Ron -- my house is at 4902 ft., but we rode down to the Truckee river and lost about 400 ft., then climbed back up to about 7800 ft.  The JOM = 30%.  That's more than what I wanted, but it was fun.

We miss being back in Seattle and helping you guys with the class.  Maybe we'll stop by for a surprise visit when Norie gets on skis in a few years!!

Here's a link to the movie I made: A Mogul Mission -- In search of low hanging fruit (the movie)  42 MB

Good stuff Kam!
Thanks for the report!

author=kam link=topic=20570.msg87642#msg87642 date=1303149514]
Maybe we'll stop by for a surprise visit when Norie gets on skis in a few years!!

We'll look forward to it!!
Great video!
If that was the the Truckee you crossed in the video it looks a bit low... looked like the only thing that got wet fording it was the soles of your tennies :)

Nice 'schwack shots, especially the ford! Wait 'til I pass this along to my Swiss friends!! I toured the Engadin region a few weeks back, and we had a forest descent (ala PNW Summer Skiing...). They could not believe that this is a normal occurance for us to feed the obsession. Can't wait until next September or so (once summer REALLY starts up here.) to ski some of that tasty maize...

Nice work guys!  Man i miss Nevada!  Love those patches of snow in the desert and the sunny skies!

Sounds like you used to live here.  I've been here 3 years now and used to live there.  I sure miss the desert and sun, but i sure can't complain about the skiing here.  It's been awsome!

Check out the East Humbolt range, go there now it will be sweet and you will be all alone!

Cheers, David.

Pic #5 is T-tips worthy for sure.  Send it in.

HAHA - Low Hanging Fruit.  I tell you, I used to eye that stuff outside of Chelan/Wenatchee areas when I lived over there, but you'd have to deal with cattle fencing to get there.

Reply to this TR

04-16-2011-house-to-house-the-mogul-area
kam
2011-04-18 00:23:22