Home > Trip Reports > April 17, 2011, Hyak

April 17, 2011, Hyak

4/17/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Chuck C on 4/17/11 12:52pm
Finally got to ski the backside of Hyak.

Arrived at the lot about 9am and were up to the top on a very firm but not icy base.  Skied down the runs on the back 4 times then came down the front.

Snow on the backside was firm but not icy.  Pretty easy skiing actually.  A couple spots got wet and grabby once the sun started coming out.  Snow on the front was pretty much the same.  We skied down the run just to the left of the lift tower and found that the snow in the trees was pretty thick and hard to work with.  Still plenty of snow left and I hope I can get back for some more time before it goes to hell.

Snowed on and off all day.  Mixed with sunshine and wind at the top.  The sun usually came out while we were climbing and went away when we were trying to transition.

Took a couple pics
1= 2/3 of the party on the way down
2= looking out across the top
3 = Mt Catherine from the top
Hi Chuck,

We were up there yesterday in the Oregon mist, (missed Oregon hit Washington).  It was raining lightly and the ski down was a foot of heavy, wet, mashed potatoes that was so sticky at the bottom you had to follow your skin track or push with your poles. 
Glad it was better for you.  Maybe I'll catch up with you at Alpy next weekend, it may be the last for them. 

We were up there today as well.   There was even a  Storm Trooper sighting (and dog).  Don't normally post Hyak trips, but this one was with a babe in tow, a fun diversion from the norm.

Cute pic of the kiddo's.  I've been wondering how to get my kids up skiing!

I neglected to take a photo of it but there was a young gent who was carrying his 2 year old daughter in a child carrier pack along with her skis. 
He said it was her 25th time skiing this season.  When he asked her what her favorite ski was she replied, "Tinkerbell". 

author=Lisa link=topic=20567.msg87624#msg87624 date=1303102468]
  Maybe I'll catch up with you at Alpy next weekend, it may be the last for them. 

Should be up there on Saturday.  From talking with some people it sounds like Hyak was definitely the place to be Sunday.  Someone I ran into at a soccer game Sunday night said he did one run down at Crustal and went home.

Reply to this TR

april-17-2011-hyak
Chuck C
2011-04-17 19:52:01