Home > Trip Reports > 4-12-11 MRNP Tatoosh

4-12-11 MRNP Tatoosh

4/12/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Gary Vogt on 4/12/11 11:22pm
Ed & I did two laps in the Tatoosh sunshine yesterday, actually he did three.  My first time out in 17 days due to dead vehicles; man, am I sore this morning...   Getting old is definitely not for sissies!  Tough trail breaking down low, but a younger couple caught us just below the upper bowl & made a mercifully gentle track to Castle Shoulder for the old guys.

Typical April powder to chowder day.   Some surface sloughs/small avys on W aspects in PM.  Trees were dripping heavily & pinwheels to 2' on upper Narada face on return.  Probably extensive breakable crust today.  Looked like the Valley Road was plowed down to Edith Bridge...    :(
Thanks for the skin track :)

Here are a few pics from the day...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=69737&id=100000218445455&l=d20f0125a6

And a short video...

http://contour.com/stories/naradaface1stthing

Glad to hear you can still muster some testosterone from that aging frame for a little wreckreation in the Tatoosh :)

Thanks for posting, FreeBird.  Nice tracks!  You two are certainly fast & smooth.  I doubt we'd have had the energy for repeat runs without your trail-breaking.

I think deprivation, rather than testosterone, was my driving force, runcle.  The pain & stiffness have faded after two days; 3K/day seems to be my limit anymore at 66.  My inspiration is Dorothea Driggers, still backcountry skiing at 80!!!  Our Spring snow conditions certainly expose the weaknesses in my vintage gear & technique.  Makes me jealous of youth & modern gear, but I'm too poor to buy it, too weak to drag the tonnage up the hill, and my reaction time seems too slow stay on top of it coming down...   :-[

I forgot to include a head's-up on how hard this winter has been on the Park road.  They've been patching them, but beware potential killer potholes between the entrance & Kautz Ck, especially after heavy rains.  I hit one three weeks ago that sheared off my manifold pipe, cracked the windshield, & bent the wiper linkage.

Also, be skeptical of the Park's morning road conditions phone message when NWAC's danger rose shows a lot of orange or any red.  Yesterday's promised an 11AM opening with 11" new, but there were no private vehicles visible on webcams & the message was never updated...   

author=vogtski link=topic=20522.msg87488#msg87488 date=1302877462]
...I hit one three weeks ago that sheared off my manifold pipe, cracked the windshield, & bent the wiper linkage.

jeez, Gary, forces move with the square of the speed..  did they up the speed limit there?    ;D

Well, David, if you've ever been behind me, you'd know I drive like I ski, which is pretty slow.  Chalk it up to a 21 year-old Corolla with really bad shock absorbers.  I'm awaiting my tax refund to repair the exhaust, so how about a ride next time you head up?   ;)

I was going to suggest that.  We're neighbors and never have skiied together.  Your 3k limit and pace suit me just fine - and I would get to poach your local knowledge - WIN !

btw, given your 'government shutdown watch' rant (X2, btw) last week, not sure you should be expecting that check...    ;)

I hope we can hook up.   We're out of town for a few, though..     dg

author=vogtski link=topic=20522.msg87488#msg87488 date=1302877462]
Thanks for posting, FreeBird.  Nice tracks!  You two are certainly fast & smooth.  I doubt we'd have had the energy for repeat runs without your trail-breaking.

Thank you guys for breaking trail.  The trail-breaking that you two did was the hard part.  The wind packed snow up high was much easier to brake through.  I don't think we would ski nearly as fast and smooth if our skis were as skinny as yours.  And you were making tele turns.

I added a few photos of you two...(they're the last three pics)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=69737&id=100000218445455&l=d20f0125a6

Reply to this TR

4-12-11-mrnp-tatoosh
Gary Vogt
2011-04-13 06:22:36