Home > Trip Reports > March 27, 2011, Snow Lake

March 27, 2011, Snow Lake

3/27/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Jonn-E on 4/2/11 4:07am
Went for my first tour into this area with a friend on Sunday.  Intended to circumnavigate Chair counterclockwise, but didn't get nearly that far.  It was a good shakedown trip though, featuring a gear conversion from tele to AT and also the first trip where I'm making the decisions and breaking new trail.

There were plenty of skiers closer in though, with at least 5 skiing the big NE facing couloir that ends at Snow Lake and 2 IMG guides ripping a sweet line in from high on Chair to the north end of the lake.  I want to ski that!

Avi conditions were sloppy potatoes below 4K and south facing aspects higher with some wet loose movement, and some windblow/warming avis observed on steep east faces.  Surprising given the NWAC prediction of "low" danger, sounds like it was a bit worse than expected.  Sadly, a snowboarded died on this same day/same conditions: sub 4k south facing, 16:30, Stevens backcountry.  The following day I was at a ski demo at Stevens and ran into patrol and a USFS ranger launching an investigation into the death; normally I envy someone with a title like "backcountry ski ranger", but not on this day.

Anyways, back from the grim and on to the fun stuff.
Skiing conditions were bizarre 1/2pow 1/2sludge on a firmer base with occassional wind slab styrofoam crust in places.  Some nice pockets, but we were too low.  IMG dudes said pow on north faces above 5k was shockingly good.  Challenge of the day?  Keeping my lunch from tourist-trained camp thieves!

Pics:

Me & Chair Peak

Thief!

Snow Lake from the north.  Note my friend downslope for scale

Reply to this TR

march-27-2011-snow-lake
Jonn-E
2011-04-02 11:07:27