Home > Trip Reports > March 26, 2011, Newton Creek, Mt. Hood

March 26, 2011, Newton Creek, Mt. Hood

3/26/11
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Edgesport on 3/29/11 12:02am
Great day, stable, sunny, light wind, deep snow - The very large cornices on the ridge will likely fall with the warm weather this week. 
Excellent Pictures!

Nice turns. The photos look like you had the place to yourself, unusual for a weekend. Was it a busy day in there or are you an early bird?

author=Koda link=topic=20369.msg86571#msg86571 date=1301501897]
Nice turns. The photos look like you had the place to yourself, unusual for a weekend. Was it a busy day in there or are you an early bird?

There were 10, maybe 14 people tops by the end of the day.  I was there from 8:30 to 3:30 and bagged 5k vert without crossing another's tracks.  There were some VERY large cornices starting at tree line extending most the way up the ridge.  All those have likely tumbled onto the face today.  That will turn it into slalom course of chunder for a while. 

BTW who ever that guy was that was so angry at the lone snowshoeing boarder.....  it was one snowshoer... not a troop of them.....relaxation therapy man!  No one said a word to you for laying a new uptrack in the middle of good snow every time you ascended. 

Every time I ski Newton someone sets a diagonal skin track right up the middle of the ski run. I cringe at the thought of how many people would be exposed if Newton ever slid big.

author=Koda link=topic=20369.msg86598#msg86598 date=1301531188]
Every time I ski Newton someone sets a diagonal skin track right up the middle of the ski run. I cringe at the thought of how many people would be exposed if Newton ever slid big.

This has pretty much been my experience too. I'm not really sure where the best place to put it is. I've gone up the ridge just north of the first bowl, but it gets pretty steep near the top.

Nice pics by the way.

the problem is that diagonal track is the quickest route back up. In the first bowl, there really isn't a "good" place to put a skin track except on the edge of the timberline in the trees. I did that once and it took twice as long and many more switchbacks to get back up so on my third lap I picked the diagonal track, was an improvement in efficiency but at risk of being in the fall line. What would others do? at least we spread ourselves out...

author=Koda link=topic=20369.msg86608#msg86608 date=1301545752]
the problem is that diagonal track is the quickest route back up. In the first bowl, there really isn't a "good" place to put a skin track except on the edge of the timberline in the trees. I did that once and it took twice as long and many more switchbacks to get back up so on my third lap I picked the diagonal track, was an improvement in efficiency but at risk of being in the fall line. What would others do? at least we spread ourselves out...

Your right the double fall line near timberline would carry a slide right through band of trees at the bottom so your really not safe anywhere huh.  If I drop in high on the ridge I ski to the bottom below he tree band and put in diagnoal track through the trees and come out under the trees of the ridge but you still have to run a diagnol line headed north back to the ridge.  Otherwise you'd be doing lots of switchbacks through steep timber.  I saw a guy putting in a line up the north ridge (see second pic) and my buddy and I discussed the safety of that route.  I said it would be safe because your on a ridge.  He didn't agree.  It's a real mixed bag up there but most everyone is out for safety and are open to suggestions.

Typically, over the last couple years, I've just stayed out of Newton Creek until corn season due to the number of people making multiple skin tracks and randomly climbing and skiing.

Reply to this TR

march-26-2011-newton-creek-mt-hood
Edgesport
2011-03-29 07:02:39