Home > Trip Reports > March 26, Ophir to Telluride, San Joaquin Couloir

March 26, Ophir to Telluride, San Joaquin Couloir

3/15/11
Posted by ryanl on 3/28/11 4:58pm
One of the things I love about skiing is how a trip comes together.  So many variables. Alecapone talked about getting an unexpected call from Kyle on a day when his sights were elsewhere. Forest takes some clients out in a blizzard, skis Alaska, sees a route on Alta, and in a few days is introducing us all to Chikamin€™s attractive valleymate. This past weekend I had a similarly nice experience.

One of my best friends of nearly 18 years, Sam, offered to buy me a ticket to visit him in Colorado last week. We wanted to ski, of course, but basically just wanted to hang out. We hadn't seen each other since Monika and I went to his wedding a few years ago.  I floated a post on TAY asking for suggestions near Colorado Springs. People were generous and offered enough info to get my mind east of the Cascades. I got one weird text message from someone with a 505 area code, berating me for not informing him of my plans.  I don€™t know anybody with a 505. Then I got a few calls from the same number, but no messages. Hmmm. I know somebody like that. Before too long skier 505 and I were floating ideas. I wanted to show Sam a good time. Nothing too serious.   Skier 505 sends me this email:

"huzzah look at this":

I stared at the image for a bit. (taken from Summitpost)

"Hey Sam," I asked casually, "what do you think of this?"

I honestly had no idea what to expect for an answer. Back in 2001 I convinced Sam to ski Rainer with me even though he'd only been teleskiing for a few years. In Minnesota. We parked at the White River Campground turnoff in early May and made it to Glacier Basin with 80+ pound packs. Day two put us atop the Prow in a blizzard. On Day three we skied back to the car. Or rather, I skied. I 'm not sure what it is that that Sam did to get down, or how to describe it. I only know that we've only skied a handful of times since. All at resorts.

So I was super excited to see Sam's eyes light up. After that the trip came together by itself.

Sam and I left Colorado Springs mid morning on Friday the 25th. We drove south to Wolf Creek Pass and set out for a quick tour. Besides the pass being at 10,857', there were other obvious signs that I wasn't in Washington anymore.

Visibility was fair and neither of us had been there before, so we sniffed our way up 1000' to what looked to be decent fall line.  Once on top we looked off the back and saw powder, trees, and a few sets of tracks. I couldn't not think of Monika. It was her birthday. We dropped in and skied what turned out to be 2000' of perfectly spaced trees back to the east side of the pass.

We timed it perfectly so that just as we were popping our skis a truck was stopping to pick up three skiers who had been hitching for 45 minutes. Sam and I piled in, made friends, and joined our new friends for a second lap. This time with car shuttle. 2000' of up with 4000' of down makes for a nice afternoon.

We met Skier 505 in Durango, who showed up a little after 10 with maps and Patron. Good things happen when Patron is passed.

The drive to the trailhead had spectacular views.

Ophir is a beautfiul town about 15 miles south of Telluride, tucked a mile or so off the road in a valley as pretty as I can imagine. Mountains everywhere and brilliant blue skies had us all in good spirits. Skier 505 was so stoked about his new bindings that I had to take a picture:

Our plan had been to gain the ridge, ski the couloir, and tour back around over a col to where we began. But by chance we ran into a local walking his dog who advised us to ski all the way to Telluride and hitch back. We'd have nearly 5000' of descent that way. Even better, we thought.

We made our way up through Aspens to ever better views

From the Summit we had a short ridge walk to what seemed like the edge of the world.

The couloir is accessible from Telluride and had seen plenty of activity, But the snow was in great shape so we were all excited. Sky went first and dropped out of sight to wait for us. Sam went next. On his second turn I saw his ski pop off and his head go over his tips. My heart about stopped. It was pretty low speed and the snow was soft so Sam stopped where he fell., But his ski began to roll down the couloir. "Oh god, please stop" I thought. It did, and not too far below. I skied to beneath it, snatched it up and hiked back up. Sam's cable housing had sheared in half and he'd lost his heel piece. We yelled down to Sky to let him know what was going on. He hiked back to us while Sam and I latched his boot to his ski with 4 Voile straps.

Round two had me going first and Sam going last. Sky showed me how to get it done (click the image):

here's a shot of the couloir from below (seen above Sky's shoulder)

Skiing to Telluride was super fun. Nothing quite like the feeling of rolling into a town on skis. Hear that Tabski? We can do that whole ski culture thing over here too.

Well, actually, there is something that rivals rolling into town on skis: hitiching back to your car after a few beers and some hot food (click the image):

Thanks for the great weekend Sam and Sky. Left me feeling pretty lucky to have you as friends...

That's a crazy couloir, the first photo makes it look near vertical -- someone should straightline it! (Drew?) 

So what happened to Skier 505 after he showed you his bindings? Did you leave him behind?  And who's this "Sky" person that suddenly showed up on the summit, went first, and tried to snake your line? He looks like a guy from Canada that I know ... sings like him too ???

Pretty lucky that Sam's binding broke when it did and not a few turns later -- glad everything worked out safely.  And I'm glad you found some good turns east of the Cascades, Ryan!

Thanks for the awesome story Ryan. Looks like an awesome day you guys had. 

Talk about a aesthetic line. The mountains have always been the place where I have gone to collect myself and its good to see that you have such a strong network of friends helping you do the same.

author=Amar Andalkar link=topic=20365.msg86493#msg86493 date=1301410330]
That's a crazy couloir, the first photo makes it look near vertical

That is exactly what I have thought every time I have seen it.  The photo of Sky with cooley behind makes it look a bit more ski able.  I have skied T-ride three of the last five years and not wanted anything to do with that line.  Maybe next time I will have to consider it.

Nice work guys.  Way to show the folks that we know how to ski up here in the PNW.

Great TR and images.  The ability to ski to Telluride was a nice touch.  I heard from Sky about skiing the San Joaquin Couloir but didn't realize you had a nice day at Wolf Creek Pass.  Most springs we  meet relatives in Pagosa Springs and ski with our east coast grandkids at Wolf Creek Pass.  The 2000 up and 4000 down with a car shuttle is a bonus.  Reminds me a bit of Whitewater before they installed the new lift.

Looks like a beauty,  thanx for the write up Ryan.

So, what line did you guys ski?  I couldn't quite ascertain from the photos  ::)

Another great TR and photos.  How are those Plum bindings?

author=jwplotz link=topic=20365.msg86552#msg86552 date=1301462510]
How are those Plum bindings?

I didn't ski them, but skier 505 sure likes them.  They look and feel awesome. solid and light. If I had the cash and/or hook up I'd grab a pair in a second.

Hope you're feeling better John. And thanks everybody for the kind words...

Excellent report as usual, Ryan.  Looks sweet.  Good to see that Skier 505 is just as peacocky as ever.  I dig those hot pink sunglasses.

Well documented TR Ryan A++
Sure like Sky's snow melting, Euro trash outfits!   :)

Beautiful line and report. Thanks Ryan.

505= New mexico area code? so sad....

New Mexico rocks...  maybe not for 505er though.

Great report Ryan, glad you're getting some time to heal.

New Mexico is the Land of Enchantment.  You won't be hearing any complaints from me.  Outdoor recreation opportunities abound and it's not a struggle to squeeze sunny days into a hectic schedule or escape the city.  Now I live on a mountain.

And NM rocks Marcus, yes.  Climb on!

Good to hear Sky.  I grew up there and it was an awesome place to be a kid.  Sounds like it would still fit the bill...

author=skykilo link=topic=20365.msg86603#msg86603 date=1301540512]
New Mexico is the Land of Enchantment.  You won't be hearing any complaints from me.  Outdoor recreation opportunities abound and it's not a struggle to squeeze sunny days into a hectic schedule or escape the city.  Now I live on a mountain.

And NM rocks Marcus, yes.  Climb on!

I agree!  I'm a huge fan of Taco Cabana, Gardunos, Garcia's and NM food in general.  The Sandia's always look so impressive from town.

Edited:  To add Garcia's to the list...

author=skykilo link=topic=20365.msg86603#msg86603 date=1301540512]
Now I live on a mountain.

Near Los Alamos, then?

Reply to this TR

march-26-ophir-to-telluride-san-joaquin-couloir
ryanl
2011-03-28 23:58:12