Home > Trip Reports > March 23, 2011, Alta Mountain, West Face Couloir

March 23, 2011, Alta Mountain, West Face Couloir

3/23/11
Posted by Forest McBrian on 3/28/11 2:23am
Last Wednesday I went and explored Alta Mountain on the east side of Gold Creek. Alta is on the north end of Rampart Ridge, and sits across Gold Creek from Alaska Mountain.

We went there hoping to ski a big (2,800') couloir on Alta's west face. Although there were a few cliffy bits where we were forced out of the couloir, the line went. It's quite a ways back there, but really worthwhile.

I put up my usual terse trip report on my blog: www.forestmcbrian.com
Sweet!  That's the cherry on top of the Rampart loop sundae that I've been thinking about for a while.  Way to go get it.

Awesome work Forest. That's a fine line back there. I actually climbed up and skied the lower portion of this route once, but turned around cause of terrible snow. That's a yummy looking line...always has looked to be.

That is quite a sick line.

Nice work Forrest I look forward to hearing about your upcoming adventures.

Nice work.  Like Jason, I have also been back there and climbed/skied the lower bit from Gold Creek, but warming temps dissuaded us from completion.  Some free rider should go back there and huck meat.

Nice line Forest. Super impressed, too, with your recent trip up Alaska. Lots of respect for trips in less than ideal weather.

Really cool report Forest!
Gotta love those coolies.

Nice one, FM.  Was that with you, hedonaut?  I remember starting up that line with somebody and bailing due to snow conditions. 

That mountain looks fully of gnarly lines..

Absolutely sick.  I'm going to go throw up now.  ;)

having been up there for the first time last summer on a day hike .. and now looking at that pic .. all i can say is holy crap batman ..

That sure is a long slog... way to get after it.  Looks like an incredible line.

SICK!

Too bad Alta doesn't allow snowboarders.. :'(

author=alecapone link=topic=20353.msg86623#msg86623 date=1301587061]

Too bad Alta doesn't allow snowboarders.. :'(

LOL

Reply to this TR

march-23-2011-alta-mountain-west-face-couloir
Forest McBrian
2011-03-28 09:23:29